• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Missed opportunity UHHHH

Tree ninja

Yesterday was my first outing with my new saddle gear. After much review and going back and forth I decided on all TETHRD gear .I choose the menace with the TETHRD one sticks (4) and predator platform . This was my first experience with all my gear in a hunting situation. I arrived roughly around 1 and had a 1/2 mile trek to the area I wanted to hunt . This spot has two game trails and a small watering hole all within 25 yards of the tree . This is all bottom land and heavily wooded with a lot of small tanks and marsh around it ( hog territory) . I must admit the first tree I chose whooped my ass , it was entirely to big and I couldn’t work the rope properly being I set my sticks to far apart from one another ( rookie mistake) . I came back down picked a more manageable tree this one was a lot more manageable being I could easily wrap arms around it. After the first tree climbing experience I left my pack (Alps outdoorz big bear) on the ground next to the tree for an easier climb . By this time it’s 2 o’clock I’m up the tree settled in and really feeling good with the whole set up . The one sticks worked flawlessly, the saddle sat very comfortably and the platform wasn’t to small or to big . I did realize at this point I need knee pads ! I didn’t think it was a big deal so I never bought any , I was wrong . I knew hogs had to be around being tracks are all over. I stated calling with a hand held Heydels hog call and this sucker works ! Let me tell you within 20 minutes of me calling 6 hogs came crashing in ! It happened SO FAST and I wasn’t expecting for them to run in like this . I was expecting a slow trot giving me time to prepare a shot , I was wrong . 5 of the hogs stayed just behind the trees not giving me a shot and 1 really stout boar came in at 18 yards looking around , he raised his head high up and stood there about 5 seconds then took off . The rest followed not really running to get away but moving quickly. They completely caught me unprepared! First off the bow was hanging on the wrong side of the tree and arrow NOT knocked ( rookie mistake) . Second I used a large clip as a bow holder , I need a open end clip so I don’t have to play with a lock or door ( rookie mistake ) . Third remember my pack ! Yeah it’s on the damn ground . The boar must have scented it when it had its head up UHHH! So lessons learned : lighten up , I don’t need to carry EVERYTHING , get knee pads , get an open end bow hanger , knock an arrow , keep the bow on my bow hand side, be ready for a QUICK shot ! I must also say that I am completely confident in the TETHRD gear and love this saddle hunting, I’ll never use a fixed stand again! If your only trekking in 1/2 mile you don’t need to take so much gear that was ridiculous what I was carrying. I’m now down to only my predator pack with only essential gear for the specific hunt, not the kithchen sink. I’m going to mark this up as a success being the lessons learned and next time I'll be ready .

Attachments

• EC9AADAD-5226-4737-A17F-8B21AF88D34B.jpeg
    EC9AADAD-5226-4737-A17F-8B21AF88D34B.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 662EC12F-53E3-41A1-83EF-8326F4EE48ED.jpeg
    662EC12F-53E3-41A1-83EF-8326F4EE48ED.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 44
Nice! Remember you can "kneel" with both knees on the same side of the tree, and your thigh against the trunk. That might make you more comfortable while you wait for your kneepads to arrive.

Back