• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mississippi public land safety regs

jst1t

In Mississippi, while hunting public land, we are required to use a "full body (fall arrest) harness". I am thinking of setting up a a sit drag saddle for next season. Do y'all have any recommendations on a less expensive rock climbing or arborist full body set up?
I can find some RCH fall arrest on Amazon but I would like to have one with linemans D Rings included.
I would rather not spend $200 on one too.

Thanks in advance for your input

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Alabama reads the same way. It's well-intentioned I suppose, but stupid. Like most regulations.

Arborists don't use full body harnesses to my knowledge. Neither do rock climbers. Or utility workers. The only situation I can think of where a full body harness is used is plant workers on scaffolding/catwalks.

They make a lot of sense for people standing/sitting on platforms. But I don't think what we do is any less safe.

For me, I'm hunting in my kestrel until somebody stops me. If I have to, I'll clip suspenders to it or stitch 1" tubular into shoulder straps.

I have suspenders on my kestrel. They make it easier when walking through the woods so it does not fall off.

I haven’t had a problem in MS yet. Also haven’t ran into Mr Green Pants while wearing the saddle though.
Funny, right? My experience is that CEOs like to spend their field time in areas with a high return (ie, lots of hunter traffic.) Those are precisely the areas I avoid anyway.

I've spent at least 50+ days afield this season, and way more than that kayaking/camping/etc. I've run into 1 game warden fishing with a buddy in an area that I wouldn't normally fish because its a popular area. I've seen 2 hunters in the woods, and 0 CEOs.

Nothing against them, but I don't care to cross paths.

Funny, right? My experience is that CEOs like to spend their field time in areas with a high return (ie, lots of hunter traffic.) Those are precisely the areas I avoid anyway.

I've spent at least 50+ days afield this season, and way more than that kayaking/camping/etc. I've run into 1 game warden fishing with a buddy in an area that I wouldn't normally fish because its a popular area. I've seen 2 hunters in the woods, and 0 CEOs.

Nothing against them, but I don't care to cross paths.
They probably are skittish of snakes, & all your spots are loaded !!!!!

As well as "full body harness", most of our regs also read TMA approved. To my knowledge, saddles aren't TMA approved. And if they were, then are the platforms? Ring of steps?

I believe a saddle is going to be breaking the law regardless. Whether or not a game warden will enforce it, I highly doubt it.

We haven't been "blessed" with TMA requirement here in Michigan yet but we do have a regulation that requires us to have our Name, Address, Driver's License or DNR Sportcard number affixed so it can be easily read from the ground. There is no exception for portable stands you don't leave on public land.

If you hunt on public land, your tree stand must be portable and your name
and address, Michigan driver License number, or DNR sportcard number must
be affixed in legible English that can be easily read from the ground. Hunting
platforms cannot be affixed or attached to any tree by nails, screws, or bolts;
however, a “T” bolt or similar device supplied by a tree stand manufacturer can be
used. A fall arrest system is recommended.

I always wrote this info on the bottom of my climber in sharpie just to be safe. I may be an old fat man but my backside still isn't big enough to meet this requirement with a saddle.:D

We haven't been "blessed" with TMA requirement here in Michigan yet but we do have a regulation that requires us to have our Name, Address, Driver's License or DNR Sportcard number affixed so it can be easily read from the ground. There is no exception for portable stands you don't leave on public land.

If you hunt on public land, your tree stand must be portable and your name
and address, Michigan driver License number, or DNR sportcard number must
be affixed in legible English that can be easily read from the ground. Hunting
platforms cannot be affixed or attached to any tree by nails, screws, or bolts;
however, a “T” bolt or similar device supplied by a tree stand manufacturer can be
used. A fall arrest system is recommended.

I always wrote this info on the bottom of my climber in sharpie just to be safe. I may be an old fat man but my backside still isn't big enough to meet this requirement with a saddle.:D

I always assumed that reg was in play if you intend to leave a stand in the woods. I never thought to put that info on a stand (or saddle) I was in. Crazy!

Back