• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

MN and Montana bucks

Mopar1169

Was out in MN for a week end of October but weather sucked and not much moving. Saw a spike and a small 8. Was the only bucks I saw which is very strange for our property. Decided to stop for a couple days here on our way out to Montana public hunt. Saw probably 13 different bucks mostly all small ones. Was thinking this is a little more like normal. Then this guy decided to come cruising by and 20 yards bad mistake. I saw him about an hour before but was out of range already making plans in my head to move the next day to cross his path he came in out of no where toungne hanging out cruising. Oh by the way really love the iron will 150 wides single bevels. Totally wrecked his world.

After MN headed out to Montana for some public land rifle. Got this guy on 4th morning. Took about 35 miles of walking to find him but was definitely worth it. There was one that was bigger then this one that stepped out right after I shot him and 2 other bucks pretty much the same size seen on this morning. Not bad for my first mulie. Was a fun hunt a lot of beautiful country up there.
Screenshot_20231117-171251.pngScreenshot_20231117-171240.pngScreenshot_20231117-171229.pngScreenshot_20231117-171300.pngScreenshot_20231123-151914.pngScreenshot_20231123-151904.png

Last edited:
Congratulations on a great buck! Those single bevels do the trick.

Congrats on the bucks! Great penetration on the WT! Also I was Just curious what area of MT and what the deer numbers were like in the area you hunted. Looks like eastern MT to me. Anyway, IMO Mule deer numbers are way down in my area. I talked to the biologist. . He's new but says this is the 1st he's heard of it. I usually see 100's a day while at work. I drive for UPS so I cover some ground during the day.

Congrats on the bucks! Great penetration on the WT! Also I was Just curious what area of MT and what the deer numbers were like in the area you hunted. Looks like eastern MT to me. Anyway, IMO Mule deer numbers are way down in my area. I talked to the biologist. . He's new but says this is the 1st he's heard of it. I usually see 100's a day while at work. I drive for UPS so I cover some ground during the day.

Yes eastern Montana. From the way my buddy had told me about past deer numbers I would say the herd is down a lot. Few people I talked to said worst hunting they have seen. There was pockets of deer once you found them there quite a few but a lot of nothing in between. My first time out there so nothing to judge off of. We saw 5 bucks that were the size of the one I shot or bigger. All in one area. All the other bucks we saw in the other areas were 2 or 3 points. Saw one decent 10 point whitetail but decided to pass on it.

Back