• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mobile Hunting Trailer Set Up

dlist777

Most on saddle-hunter are into mobile hunting. Well, here is another level of mobile! :) This is a project I finished up last summer and used last hunting season for out of state hunts. I probably spent 15 nights in this and it worked out great. Here are the details of my build and some pics.

It's a 6 x 10 x 7 foot high trailer. I pulled out the walls and ceiling and put some hard board insulation in it (floor and back door are insulated).

For Power: I put in a 15a input and wired 3 outlets. I also bought a 100ah deep cycle battery to run lights and a fan when I'm not plugged in. I ran two power stips: one to to the inverter and one to the outlet in the nose. I mounted those and makred one AC and one DC. So, that way I can just move the fan and lights over from DC to AC depending if I'm plugged in. I hooked a charger up to the battery so whenever I'm plugged in (genny or house power) it re-charges. Finally, I added one solar panel to the roof and ran to the battery to help it recharge when not plugged in. This last step was probably overkill. I could just use the genny to recharge the battery and I think that would have worked fine. But, having the solar is nice. I was out 4 days in one stretch and the battery held up fine running fan, lights, and re-charging my phone. I also added a trickle charger for the ATV so when I'm home I just plug the trailer in and the 100ah battery recharges and the ATV is on trickle charge.

For Heat: I had bought a heat/ac unit that hooks up via hoses to the trailer. I had planned to just run the electric heater on genny when it got cold. I had thought most nights I could just rely on the sleeping bag and I wouldn't need the heat as much. But, that proved out to be wrong. It gets really cold. I didn't want to run the genny every night to run the heater. So, I ended out mounting two LP tanks on the tongue and using the MR. Buddy heater at night. The MR Buddy worked great. I could raise the temperature 50 degrees even on low in there. This is one of the advantages of having a small space to heat I guess.

For Cooling: Again, I had planned to use my heat/ac unit here. But, I found I didn't need AC. I was only in the trailer during the night and even in September it didn't get THAT hot at night. I bought a shop fan and that can run all night on the battery. That was enough to keep things bearable even during hot evenings.

Shelving I did a redneck special for shelving. I mounted 3 milk crates on a board and then mounted the board into the frame of the trailer. One one side, I use bungees to keep things in place. On the other side, I just mounted wood 1x6's on the front to keep things. I have utensils, bug spray, extension cords, toothbrush, toothpaste, electric bug swatter, etc. etc. in there. It's held up well.

Cooking/Eating: I found a small microwave that runs fine on my honda genny (2k watts). So, when I cook something I just have to run the genny. This is really the only reason I ever have to run the genny. I just bring easily microwaveable stuff in the yeti cooler. I keep some water / bottled drinks on ice in the cooler.

Bathroom: You can see on the left side of the nose I have small portable toilet. You just put this bag in there (like a double bag) and do your business. It's kind of a zip-loc thing and it easily gets thrown away when you get back home. No mess.

Safety: I have a CO detector and a low O2 detector you'll see on the right up near the nose. I also have a small fire extinguisher mounted on the wall and one in one of those buckets up front.

Shower: Nothing. I just go home when I can't stand my smell anymore.

Organization: I use the etrack system on both walls to hang and secure all my gear. When I put the propane tanks on the tongue, I had to find a place for my spare. So, I mounted that on the wall inside. I also have a table that flips up off the wall. I would say having 7 feet really helped. I think if I had gotten a 6 foot high trailer I would not have been able to cram as much stuff inside. The buckets up front hold jack stands, some bungees, other misc crap. The red bucket is mainly just a trash can.

Sleeping; Just a fold way cot stored on one wall. I have a camping sleeping bag and 2 pillows in the milk crate / shelves.

ATV: ATV is tied down to the floor mounts. I found that so long as I run it dry when i load (keep it running, shut off fuel valve and let it die), the trailer doesn't smell of gas when I get there.

Hunting Gear: I can basically bring everything I have. You should see the following: climber stand, hang on/w sticks, for sighting in guns i have a shooting table, shooting cradle, target stand and targets. One of the backpacks has the targets and stapler. I also have my hunting pack, harness, hunting clothes in the scent proof bag. I originally created a removable hook on the ramp door on the outside to hang deer that I was skinning / quartering. But, that really didn't work out. So, I just brought a hoist that hooks into a 2 inch receiver. I can use the ATV to retrieve the deer and then field dress it hanging and skin and quarter (throw quarters in the cooler) or bring to a local butcher. You'll see I have some shooting sticks, a hunting chair for when I use a ground blind and pad you can put right on the ground if you want to just hunt next to a tree. One of the bags has all my field dressing stuff in it (knives, gloves, etc.). The only thing that rides in the back of my truck are my weapons and my jet sled which I hook up the atv for recovery or for setting up stands, etc.
Here are a bunch of pics loaded, unloaded, set up to sleep etc.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 339
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 326
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 329
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 322
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 321
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 320
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 318
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 308
More pics

Attachments

• 12a.jpg
    12a.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 196
A few more....

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 189
This is it...

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 192
Nice job, you'll love it! Used ours last Nov/Dec at our hunting property for 2-3 of us at a time. Then used it in February as a mobile warehouse at the Harrisburg outdoor show. Followed up that right away with SaddlePalooza. Going family camping to Myrtle Beach in July. I'm convinced cargo trailers are the way to go. Much more durable than conventional travel trailers and can be customized just how you need them. If designed right, you can still use them as cargo trailers too.

Sweet!

But a couple questions.
...Is this the best one?
...If I order it now when will it be here?
....has anyone done mods to it?
....will I fall out of it?
Just kidding of course. That's a pretty sweet set up and I now feel a bit ashamed that all I was going to do was put a topper on my truck.

Sooo....@dlist777, your the devil.... I've been wanting to do a solo bear hunt in Northern Ontario but don't want to pay for a guide and accommodations. So your post has really got me thinking found this... https://cap-it.com/product/the-overlander/
It's pretty cool too but I like your trailer.

Real cool. Looks very efficient and usable. Makes a great argument against buying camper and going this route.

What is that dinosaur hanging in the back? Just kidding that is awesome I would love something just like it you did a fantastic job!

I may have missed it, but did you insulate the trailer at all? It's tough for me to tell for sure...

Back