• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mock up amsteel

Weldabeast

SH Member
I've been tinkering with amsteel alot latey.....I'm sure there is a formula to figure total rope length that will equal to your total finished length but I dont know it. I have a bunch of 12 strand nylon rope that I've been using to mock up total length whoppies, etc. I would never climb with it but it's surprisingly strong stuff. I messed up some amsteel (expensive mistake) and found this nylon rope extremely helpful for making a mock up of the finished product and then transfer your nylon rope measurements to the amsteel......
Also.....why are we (saddle hunters) not using soft shackles?
IMG_20200107_165853_5.jpg

I use modified soft shakles.
One on the left side of my lineman rope with a caribeaner on the otherside for speed. One on my platform to a whoopie which is brummel and buried to stand. Quiet, less metal to ping.
They are 1/4" amsteel with climb rated tubular webbing sheath.
I don't tell anyone to use them. Each person decides for themselves.
I was using a third on my hitch cord when I was rope climbing.
Mine don't look like yours. They are made with two brummel inches apart to allow for opening the noose then buried then locked in a third brummel and the two ends tied into a button.
The loop is one rope diameter to the first brummel then a length long enough to easily open for the button at which point you brummel into the line not pierced in the first brummel. Then bury a good length depending on size shackle your making, come out and pull everything even with loop closed to size and brummel to lock, right where you came out using the line not pierced in second brummel.
Then make button.

20200107_181929.jpg20200107_181944.jpg20200107_182010.jpg
Closed loop, open loop and without sheath.
The third brummel can't be seen as it is close to where you come out of bury and the knot right to it.

I've been tinkering with amsteel alot latey.....I'm sure there is a formula to figure total rope length that will equal to your total finished length but I dont know it. I have a bunch of 12 strand nylon rope that I've been using to mock up total length whoppies, etc. I would never climb with it but it's surprisingly strong stuff. I messed up some amsteel (expensive mistake) and found this nylon rope extremely helpful for making a mock up of the finished product and then transfer your nylon rope measurements to the amsteel......
Also.....why are we (saddle hunters) not using soft shackles?
View attachment 23089

I use Amsteel soft for some things while hunting, but carabiners are faster and easier to work with cold hands. The main reason I choose a carabiner over a soft shackle is less friction. Webbing slides better through a carabiner than a soft shackle. I guess in extreme circumstances, the soft shackle could even cut through webbing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe because of the possibility of the monkey fist slipping through the tail? I don't know. I think they come in handy for a lot. I use them for quick attachments for pulling quads outta the mud.

I'm thinking bridge loop attachment for quick disconnect and aider to steps .... definitely not tether/bridge or linesman

I been using them. You pretty much have to remove your glove to undo a shackle. They are an effective detachable link.
I worry more about my whoopie at the bury way over the shackle failing. Same diameter.
Also me personally, I never get on my stand without first attaching my tether and taking out the slack.

Whatever you use you should really never be unattached at any point from the tree. Being truthful I have done it in the past and many do.
That's when you will get hurt or killed.
Use best equipment you feel comfortable with and be safe.

I really like the way this forum preaches about safety.... hopefully engraining it into everybody's mind. I, personally, because of my jobs I've had, have been in way more dangerous situations than your average person. I've seen, and been forced to use, the expired, worn, and just plain dangerous safety gear that most employers supply for their workers.....I'm all good with this saddle stuff....20ft pulling a bow is nothing when your climbing 100ft+ pulling welding lead up or hanging off in space attached to the end crane who knows how high.

Back