• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Modified rock climbing harness

kenn1320

Sep 15, 2015
All the talk lately about safety and lineman belts had me realizing my current rc harness with its 1" tubular webbing addition was not up to snuff. I almost upgraded to the metioulos harness with its multi clipon point ability. I thought about it and realised what's really needed in my situation is a better lineman connection. I grabbed the bridge off one of my sit-drags and went to work. I ditched the wax thread the sewing awl comes with in favor of dyneema 97 waxed thread. I had green and brown, chose green so it would be easier to keep an eye on the stitching during inspections. While I like my loops on my sides, I noticed the old ones were sometimes causing pressure when squeezed by the saddle. I also believe the flinging-X connection is safer, so my loops are slightly inboard. They appear very close in this pic, but on me they are more 10 and 2 in terms of clock position. This large belt is stitched to the rc harness in several places and also runs through the sewn runner gear loop on the back. Additional stitching can be added, fingers got tired last night and it was late by the time I got it wrapped up.

Also worth mentioning the tag end of the loops extend about 1/4" beyond the box stitch with the X, so the loops are not only stitched to their belt material, but through the harness as well. There is a single row of stitching right behind the loops that hold them together while I stitched the belt to the harness. So the box stitching is going through 3 layers of webbing, one of which is the outer belt of the harness. Hope that makes sense.......

Last edited:

kenn1320

Sep 15, 2015
That is looking nice, @kenn1320

Thanks. I know its not some earth shattering, game changing mod, but its killing 2 birds with 1 stone in a safe manner. I use my RC harness to prep trees and hunt, so moddin it to serve both purposes was an obvious choice. The belt also allows me to hook my pruners and such to it, even though there isn't an obvious Molle loop. By not creating molle loops, the item stays tighter to me and not bouncing around loosely. It also doesn't give me another pressure point to deal with. The old tubular webbing worked fine, ive used it for a couple years I think. It just wasn't safe after thinking about what would happen if I fell. I can also climb the tree, slip on heavy clothing and then pull out my saddle and hook up, since Im not using my saddle as a lineman belt. Ill have to see how easy it is to put on my HBS since Im standing on a platform and can put the saddle on after Im in the tree. :cool:

Reactions: justsomedude

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
I already have a Treehopper Linesman's belt with nice D Rings on it and have been meaning to experiment with running it through my Alpine Bod Harness At the very least, they can be worn together...

My old setup with it was just a length of webbing running around the back with tied loops on each end for LB connections. It one through the belay loop and the rear rescue loop but the BOD doesn't have a loop on the left side. I just tied a loop on with accessory cord. Ugly but effective.

kenn1320

Sep 15, 2015
I already have a Treehopper Linesman's belt with nice D Rings on it and have been meaning to experiment with running it through my Alpine Bod Harness At the very least, they can be worn together...

My old setup with it was just a length of webbing running around the back with tied loops on each end for LB connections. It one through the belay loop and the rear rescue loop but the BOD doesn't have a loop on the left side. I just tied a loop on with accessory cord. Ugly but effective.

Yep sounds similar to what I had, that's the webbing with the loops tied in that I removed. It ran through the gear loop in the rear and then zip tied in place on the 2 wimpy loops on the sides. I felt it would break the zip ties if I fell, but not come out of that rear loop so it wouldn't ride up over my head and allow me to fall. Id rather have it grab up front than at the back. I picture a face plant into the tree followed by the image of a kid held up by his underwear. :eek: