• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Modifying sticks 3 step to 2, move versa button?

hickstick

I've been searching around all the mod'ing hawk heliums, and LWs, etc. All folks seem to be moving the bottom stand off & steps up, but I don't see people moving the versa button up.

I'm no engineer but it sure seems like most manufacturers use some sort of ratio for the placement of the versa button. It would seem that having it located north of 2/3s the way up the stick is the way to go. Especially if you are attaching and sider to the top of the stick.

What's everyones experience?

You certainly want to move the button up if you are cutting the sticks. I've been using the 1/3 from the top formula and its worked on DIY sticks and Heliums without any issues.

I didn’t move my button and haven’t had issues. I only cut to like 26”, though. Might end up cutting to 22” so then I’ll have te reevaluate. 1/3 down seems right to me.

I didn’t move my button on my lone wolfs. Seems to work fine

Got my LWs at 17.5” with button at 8”. Didn’t move it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On APIs, I didn’t move the button and cut 8 inches off the bottom and drilled just a new hole for the step/standoff. It’s still north of center though and works fine.

I hav heard people moving too step to the button hole and button to the middle step hole. Then cut off the top. No drilling. Not sure how that sets the button, maybe research a little more.

But as said, north of center up to about the 2/3 range is about right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back