• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

More FNG questions.

LateStart

Hey guys. I’m a second year bow hunter first year saddle hunter. You have all been tremendous in shortening my learning curve. I am in the midst of my 6th saddle sit and have 2 questions.

1. Do you guys put your pack on the far side of the tree? In other words the 12 if you are hanging at 6? I didn’t want to do this due to movement when reaching to it but I feel with it at my 3 it’s limiting potential shots and visibility to that side.

2.when discussing tether heights do you reference the height of the girth hitch or the prussik/ropeman/Kong? I’m asking because with forehead/nose height of girth hitch I’m leaned WAY back. Maybe I need a shorter bridge. Also considering a platform as I am having trouble getting comfort with ROS

thanks!

1. What side of the tree I put my pack on depends on the terrain features. Typically I put it at my 2-3 o'clock because I'm right handed and I hang my bow on the left side of the tree. But if I have to set up in a weird spot where a shot to my right side might be better then I'll hang my pack on the left side at my 10 o'clock. So I hang it just far enough that I can reach it quietly but so it's out of the way. So typically at my 2-3. You might have to play with it.
2. I may be wrong here but usually I refer to tether height as the girth hitch height. Hitch/knot/descender height is attached to your bridge so that'd be bridge height. You may need a shorter bridge or try raising your tether higher. Here's a pic of me hunting the other day, my tether is roughly head high but I'm only leaning back about 3 feet from the tree. This was comfortable for me but may not be for you. I'm assuming your bridge isn't adjustable?
Screenshot_20191020-094319.png
As for the ROS, how far apart do you have the steps? If far apart trying spacing them a bit closer together so you can get a boot on two steps, or vice versa so you can have a leg on either side of the tree.

I put my pack around 3 usually. It can be in the way. Tradeoffs.

Tether height refers to girth hitch typically. If your are on a ROS you might try a higher tether height than forehead. That will help if your bridge is long also. Low tethers and short bridges go better with pivot platforms. You have to experiment though. Everyone's setup varies as does body types and preferences.

Thanks fellas. I will just have to plan a little better as far as the pack goes. I have the stock bridge on the mantis currently. I will try raising the tether significantly and see what that does.

I have a Mantis also and I'm wondering if there's any way to shorten the bridge. I thought about wrapping it around the carabiner that connects the bridge and tether, but that wouldn't let me pivot. I'm really loving the Mantis, just think it would be nice to experiment with a shorter bridge to see how it feels.

If I’m at 12 I usually put my pack at 12. I don’t usually use a pack until later in the season. It’s just a lot less movement digging in the pack in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Mantis also and I'm wondering if there's any way to shorten the bridge. I thought about wrapping it around the carabiner that connects the bridge and tether, but that wouldn't let me pivot. I'm really loving the Mantis, just think it would be nice to experiment with a shorter bridge to see how it feels.
I tied a shorter bridge with webbing but I think took short. I would prefer the Amsteel but trying to splice on a new shorter bridge makes me nervous.

If I’m at 12 I usually put my pack at 12. I don’t usually use a pack until later in the season. It’s just a lot less movement digging in the pack in front of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will have to try that it makes a lot of sense.

I'll measure the bridge on my Flex and let you know how long it is
Alright so my bridge is as follows:
Left side webbing 34", right side webbing 4". This is not taking into account the sewn loops, so add 4" inches to each side, so 38" total for the left, 8" total for the right. I have a Kestrel flex with sewn bridge so look at Aerohunter website to get a better idea.

Alright so my bridge is as follows:
Left side webbing 34", right side webbing 4". This is not taking into account the sewn loops, so add 4" inches to each side, so 38" total for the left, 8" total for the right. I have a Kestrel flex with sewn bridge so look at Aerohunter website to get a better idea.
I will try that length. I think I need to try an adjustable bridge for a while. Just need to figure one out that I would feel comfortable DIY’ing

Back