• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

More Stirrups

justsomedude

A platform is of course more stable. But this is fun for ultralight and gives a few different options

This just a length of webbing with a loop tied in the middle for attachment, and a loop in each end. With stiff boots, it isn't uncomfortable

IMG_2666.JPG IMG_2665.JPG IMG_2664.JPG IMG_2663.JPG

Where do you attach your stirrups? On your tree strap, or a different strap?

You want them separate so you can stand up and adjust your tether. You can hang them on a daisy chain, a small tether, or on a buckle strap

You win, I may have to try these things out. Way to simple not to.
I'm in the process of making some new aiders for my sticks, I like to cut 1/2" PVC, heat them up until they are pliable and mold them into an oval cross section so they don't slip as much.
Question - have you ever put something like this in each stirrup? May be more comfortable, but what the h3ll do I know...

You might try using rubber tubing and gorilla tape. I think you don't want the aiders to be too hard. The main thing is making it easy to get your feet in and not making any noise.

On my sticks, I just use plain tubular webbing one loop per stick and it's big enough to just put your foot in

I have 1" tubing as well, but I have kung fu kicked at a collapsed aider too many times. (lol)
This year I am going to stiffen it up with some PVC. I know lots of folks use irrigation pipe, that is a decent option as well. I was going to put some non-skid on my PVC and thought it would stick better to the non-flexing PVC.

...but, as I am nearly always looking for greener pastures, your stirrups have me thinking about giving them a try. I looked at the archives and remember G2 suggesting bike pedals on whoopi slings for a set of stirrups. That option sounds interesting as well.

Black Diamond Etrier do the best job at staying open. Their "Alpine" Aider is lighter weight...can't speak for that one. I have been trying to figure one out.

I love my Metolis aider. I would love to try the Black Diamond to see the difference in rigidity of the steps.

Black Diamond Etrier do the best job at staying open. Their "Alpine" Aider is lighter weight...can't speak for that one. I have been trying to figure one out.
You ever see a pocket aider before? I wonder how they would work? The one from Metolis has a small bag that it folds in to.

I have several pocket aiders. Two of them are "Trango" and the other might be a Metolius. It's got bigger loops than the Trango. You need shoes that will distribute the load...the tiny webbing digs into your feet. They weigh almost nothing. I like them for self rescue backup but if you are already carrying an aider and an extra sling or stirrups you are covered.

I have a few aiders that aren't as big/bulky as the Black Diamond. They work well but are more fussy.
You can see how stout the Black Diamond is

IMG_0997.JPG

This is for Noxninja as I don't know if any one else is using Stirrups as a platform...I was just putting some 9mm rope inside of my strirrup loops and stretching them out and it dawned on me....two loops on each foot distributes the load. Might have to make an extra pair to try out.

Ok.... cool thing that will get its own thread when I figure it out.

Climbing with Stirrups on a tether/Ropeman is pretty great. You set the foot tether as high as you can reach. Step up and take out the slack on your harness, hang and adjust the foot Ropeman up as high as you can raise your knees. Rinse and repeat...you never take your feet out of the loops.

At some point you have to stand in the stirrups and move your harness tether up as high as you can. A secondary connection from your harness to the foot loop tether will keep you from falling if you mess up your harness tether while advancing. I'll probably eep some slack on that. We'll see.

Two Ropeman is probably easiest. I used a GriGri2 but you have to keep locking it after you unload it
IMG_2800.JPG

Last edited:
Ok.... cool thing that will get its own thread when I figure it out.

Climbing with Stirrups on a tether/Ropeman is pretty great. You set the foot tether as high as you can reach. Step up and take out the slack on your harness, hang and adjust the foot Ropeman up as high as you can raise your knees. Rinse and repeat...you never take your feet out of the loops.

At some point you have to stand in the stirrups and move your harness tether up as high as you can. A secondary connection from your harness to the foot loop tether will keep you from falling if you mess up your harness tether while advancing. I'll probably eep some slack on that. We'll see.

Two Ropeman is probably easiest. I used a GriGri2 but you have to keep locking it after you unload it
View attachment 2438

Is this easier or faster than the single aider technique?

I love my Metolis aider. I would love to try the Black Diamond to see the difference in rigidity of the steps.

The reinforcement for the BD steps is a little beefier. The length reinforced is also longer. The BD steps stay open and oriented a little better. The metolius 4 step is close to the same length as the BD 5 step. The top BD step is smaller but reinforced well and would be similar to trying to use that sub step on top of the metolius only much easier imo. The construction of the BD in general is beefier and seems to be reinforced a little better. Of course the BD is more combersome and I assume weighs more but if you're only taking one I don't think it'd be noticeable. I can use either just fine but prefer the black diamond and would recommend it. I just wish you had a choice of color.

Is this easier or faster than the single aider technique?
With the Aider, as you climb up the aider you take up your harness tether slack. Once you get to the top of the aider, balance and move your harness tether up, put your load on the harness and you pull up the Aider Tether and start over.

With the Ropeman on stirrups, you just put your foot tether up as high as you can. Pull the tail up on the foot tether and the ropeman advances and you raise your knees. Grab the tail of your harness tether and stand up while advancing the harness ascender. Repeat until you reach the top of fighter tether.
When you get to the top of your foot tether, you raise your harness tether up as high as you can and then raise the foot tether up (I know you know all this...)

THE ADVANTAGES...Balance is easier. Your weight stays on both feet. Mine is only 3' long and I have a knot tied halfway up it to keep my feet together.
Standing on an even short stirrup is more stable than on the end of a long uneven aider.
You don't have to fish for the next loop.
Less bulky. You could keep it hung while hunting even if you weren't using it. You could hang gear from it etc...)

Also, the Sit and Climb back and forth keeps you fully loading your harness ascender every 'step'. When you climb and Aider while taking up the slack, you haven't reloaded your ascender (sketchy with a GriGri...not too bad with a Ropeman).

THE SECONDARY ANCHOR from your Harness to the foot tether is so obvious but I never thought of it before. I actually have an adjustable "Easy Daisy" that I might use for that. No fear of falling/slipping while standing up to move your harness tether up the tree.

Last edited:
Back