• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Most stable platform design

Robert Sylvester

Hi everyone, I'm in the process of designing and building my own platform and I'd like your opinions on what type of design is the most stable. Also, are there certain designs that are easier to get set-up correctly on the first try (once familiar with it) and/or more versatile?

I've heard The Fix is stable but kind of finicky to get set-up just right. What makes it different from other platforms like those from Tethrd, Latitude, Trophyline, Arsenal RZR, etc.?

I'm very used to using WE Stepps so I'm ultimately wondering if I should design it more along those lines (imagine a Treesuit that cams over), or, whether I should try something more typical with a post and versa button.

Thanks in advanced!

I can only speak to the mission but is a rock on a tree. Even easier to set since I modded it into a one stick, automatically toe hooked on the last move, just cam down and hunt. Versatility is where there is a ton of room for development imo but no one seems to be trying to tackle that. I know what I want but nobody is close to having it.

I've owned the OOAL Ridgerunner and the Tethrd XL. Ran them both with the cam strap and a rope mod. Both seemed "rock solid" once cammed over properly. The Ridgerunner seems like it has a bit more bite into the tree, if that helps.

The fix is rock solid. It takes one or two times learning to set it and then you have it. It’s very easy, just pull up and cam down instead of push down and cam down.

Last edited:
I can only speak to the mission but is a rock on a tree. Even easier to set since I modded it into a one stick, automatically toe hooked on the last move, just cam down and hunt. Versatility is where there is a ton of room for development imo but no one seems to be trying to tackle that. I know what I want but nobody is close to having it.
Can you post a picture of your converted platform? I'd like to see it.

ad5b1a9a4c6bdaadb771450d23a8cc55.jpg

Only thing different now vs the pic is I replaced the button with a cam cleat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The fix is rock solid. It takes one or two times setting it and then you have it. It’s very easy, just pull up and cam down instead of push down and cam down.
I'm a little confused why on some platforms, you should toe hook to lock it down, vs what you described with the fix. Can anyone explain that to me?

I'm a little confused why on some platforms, you should toe hook to lock it down, vs what you described with the fix. Can anyone explain that to me?
Stability of the platform depends on adequately tensioning the strap so that the upper bracket stays on contact with the tree as your weight loads the platform.

The Fix pulls the strap more from the camming action alone, so the strap doesn't need to be pre-tensioned before camming. Instead the lift facilitates enough room for the platform to reach the stopper without overloading the strap.

On normal platforms the pivoting of the platform causes smaller movement away from the tree, so the strap needs to be tighter to begin with. As a result the strap has slight upward pull when cammed and in some situations it can try to uncam the platform when your weight is lifted off the platform.

LWCG system is more stable but doesn't allow the dirty fix if you cam it and realize you left the strap too long when you stand on it. You need to go back on the stick and start over. Most platforms you can toe hook again and it remains stable as long as your weight is keeping the platform down.

The best design, in my opinion, for caming and hunting from is trophyline's mission or EDP. They are however more weight and less packable. So saying that I think my favorite is the LWCG Fix, which once you practice setting it a few times it can be done and be as solid, if not more solid than the TL offerings I mentioned.
I've tried about all of them, but have consolidated and still own the fix, ambush, mission & other DIY including klemz. I may now want to bust my klemz out for old times sake.

I have owned several platforms and sold them all due to flex or kick-out.
I built a folding led platform that is the sturdiest of the lot.
You may not like the design but thats my answer.
Search the posts..

Back