• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Most stable platform

cmg7890

Now I’m sure such has been discussed many times. However, I can’t find exactly what I’m looking for through searching. I’ve tried as hard as I am willing to get a better result with my Wild Edge step and perch. I’m done with this. Which platform has the least “fiddle factor” and will work on a variety of trees. I’m interested in the Predator, Mission, and any other platform someone has positive experience with. Thanks for any opinions.

I’ve only used the Predator but I’ve had it in every size tree I can find and it has always been absolutely solid. Size 11 boots, majority leaner, it’s the perfect size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Predator, Ridge Runner, ring of steps....

Those are just a few. I have used the Perch and that was solid as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I may be making errors with the perch, but I’ve proven that it doesn’t work for me even if someone else thinks it’s the best. Thanks for the responses.

I’ve never really liked the idea of the perch even in theory. I mean you don’t have anything solidly connected and you waste a step. A dedicated platform will get you 23 inches higher too off your top step. I use the ridge runner and when it’s set perfect it’s as solid as I think a platform can be. It isn’t perfect, I think the attachment could be better, it could fold better, and the shape could be better, but I’m nearly 300 lbs and i wanted a platform built like a tank. It fits that bill.

If you don’t mind a slightly larger platform I highly recommend the Mission. I just got mine not long ago and man is it sweet. Stability is probably its biggest advantage along with slightly more real estate. It’s really like a mini hang on stand, nearly that same kind of stability. It has the same bat wing on it as the LW tree stands do and I think that’s one of the biggest factors in its stability. The bat wing was one of reason I got a LW stand to begin with before, so this was a no brainer to me.

I had the Ridge Runner. Sweet platform and also stable most of the time, but I think the mission has it beat in the stability department.

I’ve never used the predator platform but probably most people in the saddle hunting world have by now. It also looks quite stabile but some complain about creaking. No such thing in the mission so far. Anyway, I highly recommend giving the mission a hard look.

Last edited:
I have the predator and predator xl. They are both solid. I can only imagine that the mission and lwcg platforms are just as stable. A good ring of steps is nice also. Wild edge steps are great for climbing, ok for a ring of steps and that’s about as far as I would go with them.

Tree suit style platform probably least amount of fiddle...1 strap and u finished... No toe hooking or spacing steps around a strap...1 and done... No matter what style u choose... Never hook up your tether and bridge before stepping on to ur platform.....or is that always hook up first...I don't remember....

I tried the Predator, then the Ridge Runner, and have now moved to the Assassin. Think I got lucky finding a used one on here. It’s heavy but has that super solid feel that the Predator didn’t give me. I think the Mission is probably similar in style. The size of the Assassin was the key since I have 14 boots and probably pushing 300 with my pack and gear on.

I have a predator and mission. I hunted the mission once so far. Only practiced with the predator in the yard. Both set about the same to me and equally as stable. Predator I can clip to my saddle and take up with me. Mission is a little more cumbersome to take up the tree and down. With that said, keeping the mission for hunting with the kids or an all day rut sit. I don't think it's worth the extra struggle to set up for a half day hunt. Plus I find my self leaning. The mission puts me that much farther away from the tree. Maybe some day I will get to try the other platforms. But that predator is solid platform . IMO

I have both the mission and the predator. I can clip either one to the vault clip on my saddle when I go up the tree. Both are solid on the tree. The mission weighs a bit more but it’s not too noticeable. I really like the extra real estate on the mission platform.

I also have used the Mission and the Predator. I had no complaints with the Predator but wanted to try the Mission being slightly bigger. Only one hunt in the Mission so far and I really liked it. I felt like I could easily take different odd side shots because you have the room to just stand and turn. Just moving around to get things done like hanging my camera or adding layers was way easier. I hooked it on my saddle on the same hook I used for my Predator and it went right up the tree with me without problem. I didnt even notice the little extra weight
Both sturdy and lock onto the tree great

I’m going to order a tree suit and a mission. Missions for sure are out of stock right now. Hoping the tree suit will be available. Thanks for all of the information.

I have a predator and mission. I hunted the mission once so far. Only practiced with the predator in the yard. Both set about the same to me and equally as stable. Predator I can clip to my saddle and take up with me. Mission is a little more cumbersome to take up the tree and down. With that said, keeping the mission for hunting with the kids or an all day rut sit. I don't think it's worth the extra struggle to set up for a half day hunt. Plus I find my self leaning. The mission puts me that much farther away from the tree. Maybe some day I will get to try the other platforms. But that predator is solid platform . IMO
I noticed the same about it putting me farther away from the tree as well. I questioned in my head if it'd significantly increase my chances of being picked out by a wary deer.

I’ve stood on a predator, scout and wild edge perch. The predator has been the best. Scout next and perch last.

I noticed the same about it putting me farther away from the tree as well. I questioned in my head if it'd significantly increase my chances of being picked out by a wary deer.
The positive. I feel like it opens up the ability to shoot. The negative like you said is that much more exposed.

The positive. I feel like it opens up the ability to shoot. The negative like you said is that much more exposed.
I couldn't agree more. I believe I'm going to hold onto my predator platform but I think I'm going to start with my mission and see how it goes.

I started with a scout on a stick. Seems like a great option for shorter sits.
I also had a perch and while the size is great it requires you to get a good cam with WE Steps. Just tested out the Predator. Feels like a lock-on after being on a scout. :blush:
I think the scout on a stick will be my go-to for short sits and the Predator for longer sits.
Predator XL might be a good swap if you have bigger than size 10 boots?

The Mission is the most stable platform I've ever used. In the past I've run the Predator, Perch, & RR.

Back