• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Movable aider setup for rookie saddle season

TommyDee

Time to get out and practice.....

End of 2020, swapped my loud and heavy lone wolfs and cheap hang on stand for a latitude method full setup (tether lineman’s) and 4 used hawk helium’s cut to 2 steps.

One of the helium’s came with an ooal platform and 1 step aider already attached.

So, my plan is a 3 stick solution. buy 2 daisy chain amsteel ropes for the 2 bottom sticks, Leaving the camstrap on the top stick since it has a platform.

On the shopping list then is the black diamond aider at Amazon, then EWO for the 2 amsteel daisy chains for the 2 bottom sticks, and a ROS to complement the OOAL to start. I can always add a bigger platform later (13 boot).

Was going to get an amsteel gear strap, but then why not just put gear hooks on my lineman’s?

Interested in thoughts before I place this order. Want to get plenty of reps up the tree this summer. PS 1 stick rappel is out for this year, maybe 2022. I want to focus more time/$ on archery, arrows, and scouting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ur saddle system is very personalized to u. Sure u can put hooks on ur linesman or tether.and I bet a bunch of guys do.... Do u want to do that? Maybe u do, maybe u don't....u will know after u got some hunts under ur belt. Personally my linesman is permanent attached to my saddle. I like having a dedicated gear strap...I use it ground hunting and also when just target shooting without a saddle on in the backyard. Plenty of threads on the subject of peeps preferred style of gear strap.

For me personally and my advice to anybody first starting.....learning to rappel is the best thing to learn and use when going up a tree... It doesn't matter if u are 1 stick, 5stick, no stick, we step, bolts, etc.....rappelling makes ur life easier. It can be as expensive as u want it to be...search on this site, u may already have almost all of the components...mechanical devices aren't required.

When u climbing just remember slow is fast...as long as u being safe there is no wrong way to get up the tree....1 stick is the flavor of the month it seems but that doesn't make it the best for everyone. U say in ur post u want to scout more....take ur gear and set up in 2 or 3 different trees on each of ur scouting trips....that will let u know real fast if u want to carry whatever combination or gear ur currently messing with during the coming hunting season.

Keep step distance on aiders small...I like 16"

Back