• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Moveable aiders

treefox 1

SH Member
Hi guys, just wondering if anybody is using a moveable aiders on their sticks and how are they working, tonight I had an issue where I had trouble getting my boot in it because of an outward bend in the tree trunk.

I was using a moveable aider and it worked fine but since went to a foot cinch aider and I like that much better. No more searching for the loop and trying to get my foot in.

This video explains it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The single moveable aider works great with sticks.

I was using a moveable aider and it worked fine but since went to a foot cinch aider and I like that much better. No more searching for the loop and trying to get my foot in.

This video explains it well.

I'm going to try the foot cinch on my movable aider. Every so often it can get pretty dicey to get my foot in mine, even with garden hose holding the step shape.

The problem I had was because the aider layed against the tree l had trouble getting my foot in it, I was thinking with a moveable aider I could move it into position, but does it swing more to the side ?

The problem I had was because the aider layed against the tree l had trouble getting my foot in it, I was thinking with a moveable aider I could move it into position, but does it swing more to the side ?
I found it was still tricky even with it away from the tree. The foot cinch should fix all that I'm hoping since it will stay attached to by boot all the way up and down.

That is slick, what if you had a buckle at the knee just to hold the strap there so you wouldn't have to reach all the way down to your foot.

Basically like a knaider that is extended and has loop at the top to hook on top of sticks.

Just ordered a movable aider for my Muddy's much like the one listed, looking forward to trying it out, I was planning on making an Amstel 2 step one, but it seems I misplaced my Amstel, and gave up looking around 0300 last night, getn pumped for a rifle hunt, can't remember the last time I was able to hunt with a rifle.

I thought I had it all figured out. I made a two step movable aider from tubular webbing with 12 mm rope inside the step to hold it open. Worked great in warmer weather , but when I had all my cold gear clothing on , it was next to impossible to find the steps and keep aider in place.

A 1 step aider is a more doable approach for all weather hunts in my opinion.

I thought I had it all figured out. I made a two step movable aider from tubular webbing with 12 mm rope inside the step to hold it open. Worked great in warmer weather , but when I had all my cold gear clothing on , it was next to impossible to find the steps and keep aider in place.

A 1 step aider is a more doable approach for all weather hunts in my opinion.

Same here. With my cold weather boots on they had way more aggressive lugs and it was hard to get out of the 2 step aider I made. I'll either switch to 1 step next year or go with a swaider.

Same here. With my cold weather boots on they had way more aggressive lugs and it was hard to get out of the 2 step aider I made. I'll either switch to 1 step next year or go with a swaider.

I currently use a single step aider that hangs from the top step. Buddy of mine does the same and he dropped his once this year. I made a back up and put it in my pack. However Im really thinking about going the knaider route as that one stays on you and is minimal in size. I just wonder about your level of fitness when it comes to going down and ability to hold your weight bent leg stable enough to set that knee hook. You might be right, Swaider might be better option.

I was practicing with the Swaider /Knaider with the loops attached at the bottom of each step before I decided to go to the 2 step aider.

It was working pretty well, but a I think I might just do a Swaider . Lose a little height, but simpler to execute.

I think I’ve read where some people do a knaider only. I’ll have to experiment some more for cold weather gear.

I was practicing with the Swaider /Knaider with the loops attached at the bottom of each step before I decided to go to the 2 step aider.

It was working pretty well, but a I think I might just do a Swaider . Lose a little height, but simpler to execute.

I think I’ve read where some people do a knaider only. I’ll have to experiment some more for cold weather gear.

What sticks and did you ever try just hooking to the step itself? I dont want to mess with hooking a loop with my knee, was thinking just hook the step.

I just gave up on my movable aider. Expecting there to be issues with using it in layers, I made mine with 3 relatively short steps. But doing that made it difficult to keep compact or easily attached to sticks for transport and it also made it difficult to move while climbing (would get in the way or hang up on lower sticks/branches).

I'm now trying aiders attached to the sticks- 2 step on the bottom and single step for the others. Easily gets beyond 20ft without issues extending in the cold. I'm still trying to figure a plan to help keep deer from seeing them blowing in the wind, though. Thinking nite-ize ties could easily solve that problem.

What sticks and did you ever try just hooking to the step itself? I dont want to mess with hooking a loop with my knee, was thinking just hook the step.

I have lone wolf sticks. I tried to hook onto the step, but it seemed like it wanted to slide sideways on me off the step.

@flinginairos does this I believe. Probably dependent on which sticks you’re using.

I haven’t practiced this with my thick bibs yet, but it’s actually very easy to hook the knaider into the loop as long as your lineman’s belt is high and you lean into your lineman’s belt as you come down. You can place the knaider on the loop with your hand as you come down.

I did this using the Swaider /Knaider combination. I need to practice this some more with full cold weather clothing some though.

Last edited:
I'm using a loop made from 1" tubular. It's pretty long and gives me an extra 24 inches per step. Worked great during early season but I'd prefer a shorter aider with the additional cold weather clothing layers. The "foot cinch" options look like a better idea.

Back