• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Moved to Arkansas Need hunting help!

apex89

SH Member
Well guys life took the family and I on a new adventure about two weeks ago we got a last minute job opportunity... the plant I was working at in southwest MI is closing spring of 2022 so we jumped on the opportunity.
We are now located in Russellville which seem like a very nice area with beautiful country around here, the people we have spoke with in the community have been very welcoming.

So now here’s the important question.... what is hunting like in this part of the country ? I have found a couple real nice tracks of public land just south of Russellville that I intend to scout once we get more settled. Really looking for any pointers/advice on anything hunting in this area..... also is it hard to come across private to hunt?

I appreciate any help given!

Dont know watching about russellville, or the southeast, but I recently got into hunting in a new place. Scout the hell out of public land or find your your lease now. Took me til the 2nd season hunting my new public to find shooters. Volunteer if you can. Some NWTF guys gave me a hot tip from 20 years ago that held true last year. And if **** isnt working, keep moving. Good luck.

If nothing else works, find the most difficult piece of public to hike into and hold up there. Usually good for some interesting days.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Hey man! I live in Conway. I’d be glad to help you out. Shoot me a pm of your number.

Russellville is a great area to be in for a deer hunter. You can hunt pretty much whatever terrain type you'd like within 30 minutes of there. Swamp, river bottoms, hill ground, mountains, big woods, ag land, farm country you name it and it's close by. I've only aerial scouted some pieces there but have a buddy that hunts around there. I hunt more of the central and southeastern area of the state but will probably make a trip or two this fall to that area. Private ground I wouldnt expect to find much of enless it's an existing deer lease and if that's the case the majority of people will be gun hunters and using box stands and feeders, but that generally means you have a good bit of the place to yourself outside of gun season. Any questions on anything feel free to pm me!

I sent you a pm. I did the same thing you did. Welcome to Russellville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listen to the new southernoutdoorsman podcast, it's all about bow hunting Arkansas. Essentially look for locust/persimmons in the early season and hunt funnels using the hunting pressure to drive the deer in the late season

This is a link to a buddy that hunts %100 public land just north of Russellville.

Listen to the new southernoutdoorsman podcast, it's all about bow hunting Arkansas. Essentially look for locust/persimmons in the early season and hunt funnels using the hunting pressure to drive the deer in the late season
While that does work good in the southeast part of the state, I wouldnt bank on it around russellville. Should be persimmons but I wouldnt count on honey locust. I hunt central and southeast and I've yet to kill a deer over a honey locust or persimmon tree. In my area white oaks and pin oaks are king. There was some good information in that podcast for sure though!

Welcome from the Little Rock area. Like @austin1990 said, you're in a pretty good spot with public access all around you. I've only hunted a few areas so far (I'm still newer to the area as well), but in all my sits last year, only once did I not have anything come through. I tend to hike in a ways, and look for bigger elevation changes, so I don't always have the easiet time walking in, but it's seemed to pay off. Feel free to PM me if you want to meet up.

While that does work good in the southeast part of the state, I wouldnt bank on it around russellville. Should be persimmons but I wouldnt count on honey locust. I hunt central and southeast and I've yet to kill a deer over a honey locust or persimmon tree. In my area white oaks and pin oaks are king. There was some good information in that podcast for sure though!
I've never been to Arkansas but I would love to hunt the area, i'm really familiar with swamps but all the ones near me are full of snakes and alligators so it's hard to sneak through them.

If you hunt say within an hour north of Russellville, you will not encounter “swamps”. The Ozark NF is “mountainous”, rocky with a lot of drains. Its a short leif pine/hardwood mix.

If you hunt say within an hour north of Russellville, you will not encounter “swamps”. The Ozark NF is “mountainous”, rocky with a lot of drains. Its a short leif pine/hardwood mix.

I know where plenty of flooded timber is up around that area, that's basically what swamps are. It is more mountainous and pine/hardwood mix, but there is swamps.

My aunt lives in Fayetteville, no idea how close that is to you. She said there's lots of hunting opportunities around there, lots of deer, turks and boar. The army base close by supposedly allows hunting once you get approved, don't quote me on that that's second hand scoop from her husband.

I really appreciate all the help guys! you all have definitely got me headed in a good direction with the insight that has been provided.

Welcome to the Natural State. Russellville is a good spot to locate for a guy that likes to hunt and fish.

Winona WMA is fantastic. Your in a very centralized area to access a lot of great deer hunting. I’m just south east of Conway if you want to PM me. I’d give ya some good areas to check out

I know where plenty of flooded timber is up around that area, that's basically what swamps are. It is more mountainous and pine/hardwood mix, but there is swamps.

Let me correct myself. If you hunt the Big Piney RD, you will most likely not encounter a “swamp”

Winona WMA is fantastic. Your in a very centralized area to access a lot of great deer hunting. I’m just south east of Conway if you want to PM me. I’d give ya some good areas to check out
Outside of the private land I have access to, Winona was where I hunted the most. Saw a ton of deer up there, including some nice bucks. Definitely a good area!

Back