• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Movement around tree?

md5252

Hello everyone, I really like the idea of being able to shoot 360deg around the tree but I found it takes a lot of movement and that I’m also constantly fighting what seems like a tendency for my body to swing back around towards my platform, like I’m fighting gravity but side to side (if that makes sense)

How do you prevent from being seen and swinging in a direction you don’t intend? Tether height? Use your legs to hook around? Or another way..
Thanks

Use your tether as a redirect by moving the loop to where u would like to be on the tree. Set up low on a leaning tree and move ur loop around the tree, u will find it will hold you in place. Depending on the placement of your loop. Hope this makes sense.

I have found myself moving the loop on my tether from side to side as I go up. And sometimes moving it while at height to find my happy place. I think it depends which side of the tree I end up on of it’s leaning.

I understand moving the loop on the tether would help by changing the angle/fulcrum but wouldn’t that create more movement, both from me and the rope itself.

I don’t see how I could do that as a deer was approaching or in the area, especially with my bow in my hand.

Oh I’m sorry, I misunderstood what u was asking. I have no idea how one could swing around a tree with deer approaching. Deer pick up on movement really fast. Unless u caught the deer walking behind a tree or the tree u in is large enough to hide behind. And of course u would need something to stand on. Top stick , ros or platform.

I understand moving the loop on the tether would help by changing the angle/fulcrum but wouldn’t that create more movement, both from me and the rope itself.

I don’t see how I could do that as a deer was approaching or in the area, especially with my bow in my hand.
Right, I see. I haven’t had a chance to shoot a deer from mine yet, but I’ve practiced shooting my target from different angles etc.. I’ve felt leaving a longer tether lets me get ALL of my strong side, front to back…..I can get well past 180 degrees this way. I also like to come to full draw mostly to the side, then swing to my target using my hips to begin or make the turn.
For the weak side, I’m having to do the left arm under tether turn around thing. I end up standing with my back against the tree, tether over my shoulder. Just gotta make sure I don’t leave slack in the tether, or have a clip/wire tie to keep it from falling if I accidentally give it slack. Once there, I can turn some in either direction so long as I’m not cinched up against the tree……the longer tether helps in this regard again.

Hello everyone, I really like the idea of being able to shoot 360deg around the tree but I found it takes a lot of movement and that I’m also constantly fighting what seems like a tendency for my body to swing back around towards my platform, like I’m fighting gravity but side to side (if that makes sense)

How do you prevent from being seen and swinging in a direction you don’t intend? Tether height? Use your legs to hook around? Or another way..
Thanks
You will need to add a step on each side of your platform to shoot 360. The trick is to not Swing, but to have small, slow, and controlled movement. Have you tried a ROS?

Thanks

Ring of steps like @Arrowsquirrel said or a larger platform you can stand on. With the larger platform you can put your back to the tree with your tether running up and over your shoulder.

Right, I see. I haven’t had a chance to shoot a deer from mine yet, but I’ve practiced shooting my target from different angles etc.. I’ve felt leaving a longer tether lets me get ALL of my strong side, front to back…..I can get well past 180 degrees this way. I also like to come to full draw mostly to the side, then swing to my target using my hips to begin or make the turn.
For the weak side, I’m having to do the left arm under tether turn around thing. I end up standing with my back against the tree, tether over my shoulder. Just gotta make sure I don’t leave slack in the tether, or have a clip/wire tie to keep it from falling if I accidentally give it slack. Once there, I can turn some in either direction so long as I’m not cinched up against the tree……the longer tether helps in this regard again.
I never moove my tether loop unless I'm on a ros and see a shot approaching from a long ways I can prepare for ,other than that I set .you tether for a comfortable 4 -5 hour sit and adjust if I need to when the shot comes

You will need to add a step on each side of your platform to shoot 360. The trick is to not Swing, but to have small, slow, and controlled movement. Have you tried a ROS?

I haven’t and I doubt the OP has either…….but I’ve been eyeing them and will probably end up with a set at some point! So with the ROS, your not turning around with the tether over your shoulder? Seems like if the tether is long enough you can keep going around the tree making the strong side a lot wider, but I’m asking cause I haven’t done it. I have a big platform and the top of my stick and have no problem putting some side pressure on them…..trying to picture having another step beside them.

I haven’t and I doubt the OP has either…….but I’ve been eyeing them and will probably end up with a set at some point! So with the ROS, your not turning around with the tether over your shoulder? Seems like if the tether is long enough you can keep going around the tree making the strong side a lot wider, but I’m asking cause I haven’t done it. I have a big platform and the top of my stick and have no problem putting some side pressure on them…..trying to picture having another step beside them.
Yes with a ROS I walk completely around the tree for a weekside shot. I agree that using the top of you stick with a platform accomplishes the same thing. It's sometimes you may need to hang the platform higher than your stick and so the extra steps are nice.

Yes, you are correct. I have not tried a ROS. I might give it a shot though.

However, the whole purpose of saddle hunting for me is to bring less stuff into the woods not more.

However, the whole purpose of saddle hunting for me is to bring less stuff into the woods not more.
If you got into saddle hunting to bring less to the woods than a ROS has your name all over it. All you need is a climbing method, an ocb strap and 4 to 6 squirrel steps. Not sure how much less you could bring.

If I’m on a short sit, I leave the platform in the truck and take the short helium stick with small platform attached to the top. It’s just tough to turn around and do the tether over the shoulder thing with it, but it’s possible.

I have went back and forth between platforms and ROS over the years but have settled on and been using a ROS pretty much solely for the last two seasons.

I don't swing around the tree but move slow and deliberate. I usually only have to go one step to the strong side, maybe two at most. For weak side shots (I'm right handed) I actually move to my left one step and then lean around behind me.

It's not much more movement than leaning around the tree by pushing off a platform but, it gives me two solid foot holds and allows me to square my shoulders which is important to me shooting my recurve accurately.

If done slow and deliberately you can make those movements with deer under 20yds, including mature bucks in high pressure areas. Just have to be slow and pick your spots.

The higher your tether is the more you're going to feel like a pendulum wanting to recenter. Conversely, if your tether is too low you won't have enough slack to make the move. My solution (I'm a platform guy with my one stick placed on the backside of the tree) is to set my tether about forehead height. I use a friction knot for my tether connection and if I need to step over to the top of the stick I can reach up with my right hand and pull the knot down a couple of inches giving me the slack I need.

I agree with @GCTerpfan that slow movements around the tree are possible with deer close. You just have to pick your spots/time. Its not that different than turning around in a treestand. Anytime you move with deer close you stand a chance of being busted. Obviously the best bet is to see them early and if you anticipate you will need to move, do it before they're close. Unfortunately it dosen't always work out that way.

If I’m on a short sit, I leave the platform in the truck and take the short helium stick with small platform attached to the top. It’s just tough to turn around and do the tether over the shoulder thing with it, but it’s possible.
Yep, I put some grip tape on platform and that gave me some confidence to do it, but it’s tough for sure.

Back