• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Muddy lineman’s belt

ekelsey15

Is there any reason not to use a manufactured lineman’s belt over making one or getting one from a saddle company? Muddy has one for like $25. It seems like an economical way to get it. I think aero hunters is like $60. Just not sure why.

Glad to see I’m not the only one with this thought. I plan on getting into saddle hunting next year and already have a bunch of the hunters safety tree ropes. I did some asking around and everyone says that’s perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any reason not to use a manufactured lineman’s belt over making one or getting one from a saddle company? Muddy has one for like $25. It seems like an economical way to get it. I think aero hunters is like $60. Just not sure why.

I use the muddy lineman's belt. I like it. I used it all season and it doesn't show any wear. I bought a second one just in case something happens to the first.

Glad to see I’m not the only one with this thought. I plan on getting into saddle hunting next year and already have a bunch of the hunters safety tree ropes. I did some asking around and everyone says that’s perfect

Yep those work fine too.

Ok cool. It just seems like people make their own or buy one for more expense but in this case it doesn’t seem like it would be any less quality or safety.

Thanks

Ok cool. It just seems like people make their own or buy one for more expense but in this case it doesn’t seem like it would be any less quality or safety.

Thanks
Nope nothing wrong with making one that way. I think its cheaper because your not getting any hardware maybe? Like a ropeman or anything? I don't know. Even when I bought my mantis I let them keep the linemans belt and made one from a HSS safety line I already had for a hang on stand.

I have used HHS linesman belt and lifelines for about the past 10 years with my climbers and lock ons. Not sure about the Muddy but the hardware that comes with HHS ropes are steel and heavy. They work fine. The hardware that comes from the saddle companies is going to be much lighter and higher quality. I would think they would use a higher quality rope also

It depends on personal preference.
Usually the rope on HSS, Summit and others snags bad and looks fluffy by the end of season. The rope from the saddle companies is higher quality and have a better outside sheathing.
The carabiner are steel instead of aluminum on most store bought lineman also.
I’ve tried them all to save a buck. So far it’s only cost me money in the long run because now I have a shed full of old used linesman’s and ultimately I still had to buy the ones I wanted. I guess I have plenty of back ups

Since we're on this thread, when I hunt in my Assault and think I'm going sit that stand again, I use the Muddy safety rope for my descent. Rated for 300 lbs, and I'm in a rock harness tethered to the prussick. Is that enough to stop me (I'm 180) if I slip going up or down?
I know we've covered this before some where and I realize there difference between what we do compared with climbers and shock loads from their falls. Just don't want to find out the hard way. Thanks. Time to go outside and play with the new Kite!!

IMHO once you know how to make your own gear or look at gear in the climbing industry you realize the absolute junk that the hunting industry is selling you. I have seen Muddy's quality control first hand on a set of sticks I bought and I can tell you I won't buy anything from them again.

IMHO once you know how to make your own gear or look at gear in the climbing industry you realize the absolute junk that the hunting industry is selling you. I have seen Muddy's quality control first hand on a set of sticks I bought and I can tell you I won't buy anything from them again.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Guess I'll see how much of a pain it is to descend/re-ascend with the tether (using sticks). If you were to recommend a 30' piece of safety line (for multiple trips up/down), what would it be. I realize I'm adding weight, but if I hang a double set, my buddy will need to be tethered on the way up/down. Thanks!

That's kinda what I was thinking. Guess I'll see how much of a pain it is to descend/re-ascend with the tether (using sticks). If you were to recommend a 30' piece of safety line (for multiple trips up/down), what would it be. I realize I'm adding weight, but if I hang a double set, my buddy will need to be tethered on the way up/down. Thanks!
I would reach out to either treestuff.com, wesspur.com or r&wrope.com. They're the experts and I'm sure they've had that question before.

I’ve used muddy linesman rope but I was always a little nervous using it with a ropeman 1 as I believe the diameter of the rope is smaller than what is rated for the ropeman 1. With that being said I’ve never had the ropeman 1 slip with it. I did use a larger lightweight black diamond carabiner that took up room in the ropeman. That may have helped with it not slipping. Other than my concerns with its proper use with the ropeman 1 I had no other problems with using it.

Back