• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Muddy pro climbing sticks. Help for beginner.

Choffnosky

I ordered through muddy and received my muddy pro climbing sticks a week ago. I have been playing around with them inside the house (haven’t received saddle yet) along with on a couple trees. The rope slips through the rope cam. It doesn’t bite it like I would have expected. I want to avoid tying a half hitch into the rope because I will be using the one stick method. Is there anyway to modify either the rope cam or will increasing the diameter of the rope help any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you elaborate on what you mean by rope slipping. The rope should move in one direction through the cam very easily. The other direction the rope shouldn’t move much at all.

Yeah of course. The rope cam is designed so that both of the wedges pivot and bite onto the rope when tension is applied, thus the rope should not be slipping. It just slides through the cam.

Yeah of course. The rope cam is designed so that both of the wedges pivot and bite onto the rope when tension is applied, thus the rope should not be slipping. It just slides through the cam.

Then somethings wrong. The half hitch is really just there to keep the rope from pulling out of the front of the cam cleat.

Maybe I could remove the paint from the ridged wedges to help it bite onto the rope better or use a larger diameter rope? Muddy uses 9mm

It almost sounds like your rope is TOO BIG, thus turning the teeth out of the cams and not letting enough teeth grip. Can you post a pic?

I ordered through muddy and received my muddy pro climbing sticks a week ago. I have been playing around with them inside the house (haven’t received saddle yet) along with on a couple trees. The rope slips through the rope cam. It doesn’t bite it like I would have expected. I want to avoid tying a half hitch into the rope because I will be using the one stick method. Is there anyway to modify either the rope cam or will increasing the diameter of the rope help any?

I advise not to modify a Muddy Pro Stick. They simply work other than being heavy. Muddy will stand behind their product if not altered. Get specfic with the details. The guys and gals on the site can help.

I vaguely remember a SH member posting a review (within the last six months) of the muddy pro sticks and it had that same problem. I believe its an issue with the newer sticks doing that, the older ones are rock solid.

I would be throwing a royal b&$#% fit with customer service if I forked over the cash for brand new sticks, only to have that happen.

EDIT: found the video...

skip to the 3:49 mark to see the cam slippage in action.

Last edited:
Make sure your cams were installed properly from the factory. The teeth should be facing each other. When the rope goes through (right to left) make sure you pull left like you mean it. Grab the top or bottom step and pull down with weight and it’s solid on the tree. I’m not sure how the one stick method works but I tie a double half hitch I think it’s called and start working my way up.

It shouldn't do that. If the rope is slipping through the cam cleat, something is wrong.

I wouldn't modify or try to fix and get in touch with customer service.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back