• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Muddy pro sticks or lone wolf sticks?

Nick Grider

just got myself a saddle and now I'm looking at sticks. I'm new to all this as before I was a tree stand hunter. For the future I'm completely going as mobile as possible. Any advice is appreciated.

Nick

Muddy pros are easier and quieter to hang and more compact I like the double step on them works nice with aides slightly heavier though. Lone wolf can be made to be more quiet with rope mod. Check out spurs if that's an option spurs up rappel down is my new run and gun setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muddy pros are easier and quieter to hang and more compact I like the double step on them works nice with aides slightly heavier though. Lone wolf can be made to be more quiet with rope mod. Check out spurs if that's an option spurs up rappel down is my new run and gun setup.

Do they come with a quiver?

The tree brackets have cut outs in the that stack onto one another

I have and use both. Lone wolf for sure when using the alpha hang on stand (blasphemy! ). Muddy pro with any saddle type stand.

LW - attaches nicely to stand. Light. No dual step stinks when trying to set next step or stand / platform.

Muddy Pro - more compact for transport and bringing up the tree, more reach per step (18" versus 15"), easier to attach to tree. Cons - heavier, less total distance per stick.

I use 4 with a one step aider (18") and 18" between top of step and aider. That gives me 18'. I can stretch it a little with longer aider or longer distance between steps, but choose not to.

I also have hawk heliums and plan on cutting them down to two steps after the season. They should give me the advantages of muddy without the disadvantage of the weight.

I also have Stepps,and would love to be as efficient in setting those to ditch the sticks altogether. Maybe if I actually practice more with them, who knows.

I have and use both. Lone wolf for sure when using the alpha hang on stand (blasphemy! ). Muddy pro with any saddle type stand.

LW - attaches nicely to stand. Light. No dual step stinks when trying to set next step or stand / platform.

Muddy Pro - more compact for transport and bringing up the tree, more reach per step (18" versus 15"), easier to attach to tree. Cons - heavier, less total distance per stick.

I use 4 with a one step aider (18") and 18" between top of step and aider. That gives me 18'. I can stretch it a little with longer aider or longer distance between steps, but choose not to.

I also have hawk heliums and plan on cutting them down to two steps after the season. They should give me the advantages of muddy without the disadvantage of the weight.

I also have Stepps,and would love to be as efficient in setting those to ditch the sticks altogether. Maybe if I actually practice more with them, who knows.

Seems like you know your sticks. What do you think of the summit bucksteps 2?

You just need to know your parameters.
I got Muddy Pro because they are compact, quiet, double step, easy to hang and tear down.

If the above points aren’t there...I won’t carry sticks.

The only thing I know about them is I am over their weight limit. I weigh 275, so the bucksteps are a no go for me. I never looked into them past that.

Any time you are looking at gear, ask yourself WHY you are interested in it.

Bucksteps have big steps which could be comfortable, but now you have to carry them. They have the typical dumb strap system so now you have to hang a bully stick with bad straps. They are short so you need a lot of them or you have to add aiders.

That’s why Muddy Pro or modded LoneWolf or HEliums are used so much

Haven't seen a issue with not having double steps. I keep one foot on the top step and the other on the middle step for my xop sticks. At that point I can still set the next stick high enough that I can't reach it.

Could see the benefits off doubles with saddles, just more platform.

There are a few potential issues with not having double steps.

You have to climb with alternating feet. If you are using Aiders, that’s an issue.

If you are hanging aiders on sticks, you need to stand on the top step.

Double steps make great handles when climbing

yeah hanging sticks with aiders is the primary reason for double steps. You can just hang the next stick higher, so you can use a longer aider.

Guys with less mobility benefit from the shorter step for each leg also.

Handles are cool but you can just as easily grab onto the stick itself with your other hand, or usually the step above it

I would love to get my hands on a muddy pro step and mount it to the top of my LW stick....perfect stick in my world. wish muddy sold parts

Last edited:
Back