• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Muddy stagger step

Ckwilli

SH Member
I'm new to saddle hunting and new to the forum so please excuse me if this topic has already been addressed. I'm putting together my saddle gear a bit at the time because of the high cost of gear. As of now I'm using muddy stagger steps to get about 15 feet up and using the top step as my platform. Has anyone else used these steps? I do see that sometimes steps are used for platforms. Any advice on mods or tips you can help me with? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
i just got some stagger steps, and thought about bolting a small platform on top as well. I seen some other stagger steps, for the same price but went with M, because there is almost a platform on top, and with the square tubing, I thought it would be easy to bolt something on to enlarge it just a little, and from what I see on most platforms they are not too big anyhow. I should get my saddle in a few days, am anxious to try. also, if this doesn't hurt, a nice big doe came behind my stand , and to the wrong side for a shot, and I immediatly thought ," If I had my saddle, I could make this shot" good luck and be safe

I thought about adding a platform.
Some cons I came across: It can be tough to get past that last set if it's much bigger. Step can limit where you can put the platform since it so much longer that a traditional platform (example: you can't put it directly above a limb).

A hinge might help getting around the platform or making it wide and not deep (8x12 instead of 12x12). Or a platform that can be slid into place after you're up a la The Perch on a Wild Edge.

Last edited:
I'm new to saddle hunting and new to the forum so please excuse me if this topic has already been addressed. I'm putting together my saddle gear a bit at the time because of the high cost of gear. As of now I'm using muddy stagger steps to get about 15 feet up and using the top step as my platform. Has anyone else used these steps? I do see that sometimes steps are used for platforms. Any advice on mods or tips you can help me with? Thanks in advance.
I use webbing loops at the bottom of each of the sticks to gain an additional 5 - 8 foot of height for virtually no additional weight. I’m going to attempt a platform build to the top stick and if it works I will post pics.

on my platform I ended up taking about 3 inches off the front, so it is only 9 in. out, and that is plenty, fi am sitting its okay, and if I am leaning, my boot heel hooks on the edge and feels very comfortable, not sure why this started typing this way It was too hard to step over. I used my branch trimmer in the woods. I may take another inch and I use i/2 in. ply and may bump it to 5/8

ckwilli. I am also brand new to this and this week ids my first try at it if you go to page 3 of climbing methods and platforms I have some pics of what I did with a top platform. it was very uncomfortable and hard to get over the top step, so, while i was hunting I took it to the ground and first cut sort of a u shape out of it leaving wings on the side, but taking the center to within 2 inches of the steel on the muddy, way better, but on the 2nd day, I cut those wings down another 3 inches, and it is very do-able now, so the center is 8, and the winds where my feet go at prolly around 9 1/2, I may take the wings down just a little more. I am also thinking of widening itfrom 12 to 14 so I will have 4 on each side past the muddy step,

An Ameristep on each side works well too. For me it's more comfortable than a pure ROS. The step itself is pretty solid and gives more foot area then the top of a climbing stick as well. I can't stand up like I can on my platform but I don't find myself missing the platform due to comfort when using this. The only real grip I have is they squeak sometimes.
6d487037d4a198deace410f5556be0c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

An Ameristep on each side works well too. For me it's more comfortable than a pure ROS. The step itself is pretty solid and gives more foot area then the top of a climbing stick as well. I can't stand up like I can on my platform but I don't find myself missing the platform due to comfort when using this. The only real grip I have is they squeak sometimes.
6d487037d4a198deace410f5556be0c4.jpg

I picked up a couple of screw in steps to use like this but haven't gotten to use them yet. I actually got the idea from your post.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I picked up a couple of screw in steps to use like this but haven't gotten to use them yet. I actually got the idea from your post.

Hope it works well enough for you too. Those steps are bulky and heavy enough as it is. Anything to mitigate adding more to them is worth trying.

By the way, try installing your pegs a bit higher then the top of your stagger step and just far away enough so your heel can rest on the muddy and the toe on the peg at a toes up angle. I found that to be the most comfortable for both the seated and leaning positions.

and you can't use a screw in on state prop. and I think , the ameristeps are not being made any more, I thought they would be a great option

I'm sure DanO's squirrel steps would work equally as well.

and you can't use a screw in on state prop. and I think , the ameristeps are not being made any more, I thought they would be a great option
I mostly hunt private but like to move around.

Back