• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Muzzleloader

LooyvilleLarry

Has anyone else rifle/muzzleloader hunted out of a saddle, or will I be the first this time ? :mrgreen:

My only real concern is god forbid, I have to reload. That could be a bit of an issue.

I did last year and killed a big doe first time out. I actually had an EASY 10 yard shot and my gun hang fired so bad I missed by several feet! :lol: I reloaded and about an hour later killed one at 75 yards. I just put the butt of the gun on my platform and reloaded no problem at all. I find that the bridge gets in the way a little when trying to aim but it's not too bad.

I've shot a bunch of deer from my saddle with my ML. I usually just rest the gun across the bridge and cradle it. I also shot my bear out of my saddle with my ML :D

I rifle hunt from my saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never tried a muzzleloader hunt in a saddle. Usually I hang up the saddle that time of year. I don't like saddle hunting in subzero temps. That time of year I am much happier in a lone wolf wearing a HBS or IWOM.

I have used flintlock, shotgun and a 308 rifle from the evolution. The toughest part is when you take a off hand shot at about 5 o'clock, the recoil will try and spin you around the tree if your not careful. Had to take this shot with 3in 00 buck, but I considered the recoil on my skinnyrearend before I took the shot so I was ready for it!

Thanks,
Boswell

Gonna try flintlock out of web this year. I have visions of flying around the tree like a teather ball. Gun season is in a couple weeks.

wes k said:
Gonna try flintlock out of web this year. I have visions of flying around the tree like a teather ball. Gun season is in a couple weeks.

LOL. I have never noticed any movement from recoil before. Maybe if I lost a few pounds I would :lol: :lol:

Back