• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My 2-in-1 LB/tether setup

JFin15

SH Member
First let me apologize for being extremely late posting this. I had a few people ask me too but with the season and holidays, im just getting around to it, @gcr0003 .

Over the last few years as my tree-climbing and tree-climbing equipment knowledge base expanded, i found myself doing alot of reading on various arborist forums and im sure thats where the idea came from.

So basically my original intent was a two-part one. A) I was irritated by having to pull out my tether in order to pass limbs during ascent and do it in a safe manner. On trees with alot of limbs, i found myself doing the ole quick snap-flip around the limb while holding on....not safe at all. B) After contemplating the change, i figured one rope would be less gear, bulk, and/or weight, than two.

Shortly thereafter, i was on the wesspur site one day and they were offering free eye splices with any rope order. I jumped at the offer and ordered a 10ft piece of 11mm blaze with sewn tight eyes on each end ($30 worth of sewn eyes for free!). After trying it out, i immediately made the permanent switch. Over the coarse of the last year, i have gradually transitioned away from mechanical hardware on my lanyard(duck/ropeman), one piece at a time. It has proven just as efficient (if done correctly), probably a little lighter, and definitely quieter. I will say that in the beginning, using the same rope as my tether once at hunting height, proved to be a challenge and there were several time it caused me quite a bit of frustration. Once i figured out a system, however, its quicker and easier, imo. Also, i implemented the change during season which obviously isnt the best way to do it.

What i do is attach one end of my lanyard to my lineman loops as normally and keep the other end daisy chained and clipped to the back of my saddle. If i come to a limb, i unclip the other end, flip it above the limb, clip in on the other side, and then unclip the lower/1st carabiner that comes back around the tree and to the back of my saddle. Then i proceed. Im never not clipped in.

Once at height, i take the free end of my lanyard and wrap it around the tree, remove the carabiner, and clip the steel screw-lock into the eye, which is tighted down via the attached prussic loop. This also eliminates any chance my tether will slip down the tree when unweighted. To go down, everything is reversed.

In order to use a lanyard in this manner, the hitches (in my case, distel hitches) must be tied in opposing manners. If you wanted to only use one friction hitch, it would need to be one that grabs in both directions, like the prussic. You could rig up something to allow it to tend in both directions, however, i chose not to do this for the off change the tending device somehow put pressure on the hitch causing it to break over. I doubt this would actually happen but i have never tested it so if you choose this route. test at ground level, as with everything.

Last week i finally got around to splicing up a few new lanyards because my original wasnt quite long enough at times. I chose 8mm and 10mm OP (oceans polyester). I dont know which one ill elect to keep and use but if i had to guess, itll be the 10mm. Still have to lockstitch them and im planning on doing a few new hitch ropes too. Heres a few pics i took to show everything, sorry for the crappy pics but hopefully youll get the just. Ill try to add some better ones soon. Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• 20211203_162832.jpg
    20211203_162832.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20211203_162917.jpg
    20211203_162917.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 20211203_163010.jpg
    20211203_163010.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 20211203_163040.jpg
    20211203_163040.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Just realized I didn't have a pic of hanging in tether mode. I'll take some today. Also, if one wanted to use a steel biner on one end and designate that end as the 'tether end' it would eliminate another screw lock/link. I dont want to carry a heavy steel biner, or cross load an aluminum one, so I use a kong quick link. I'll show it in the new pics. I've also got a new idea for tending devices. They can be seen on the 10mm (red) rope. Some will know this but they're from treestuff, sold as slack tending clips, not hitch tending devices but I think theyll work great and be super light/compact compared to the 3dgen figure aider or anything else I've tried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
4759d87ba5419f324790264893986384.jpg

Heres how I hook up my tether end. Also thought I'd add that I'm going to use the 10mm so if anyone is interested in the 12ft 8mm lanyard, pm me.
47fc73be0be4e93ef2af0fc05782320b.jpg
f9fccb9fbf2c32111d12908a827d3e8a.jpg
034a77b38076e85cdf49ccaf46b99aef.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

A slight difference, but yours is a DEDA system, double ended double adjustable lanyard. The 2 in 1 has a single hitch, or device, or two next to each other. I used a 2 in 1 with two hitches for awhile, had a hard time keeping the rope ends from tangling until I started attaching the hitches to a swivel carabiner. Now I use a climb line, long enough to always reach the ground, and a long lanyard. One hitch on the side, for side to side attachment, and one in the middle, can be used if line needs to be choked tether style.

Back