• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My DIY one sticks

HunterDan

Just want to share some of the one sticks I have made for myself, friends and family. The one with all the silencing material is the the first one I made and hunted out of this year. the rest are based off of what I learned from the experience.
Im really excited about the hand climber. I think it will be quietest way up, while still being versatile plus a large enough platform that I can stand for shScreenshot_20201217-213211_Gallery.jpgort periods of time to make saddle adjustments or what ever. The only downside i see is the limitation to tree diameter.
All the stick platforms are made out of 4x4 aluminum angle I cut out with a plasma cutter
Platforms range from 4x8 through 4x11
Hope this is helpful to someoneScreenshot_20201217-213211_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201217-212756_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201217-212748_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201217-212740_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201217-212732_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201217-212723_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201217-212715_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201217-212706_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201217-212700_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201217-212653_Gallery.jpg

Curious as to how you climb using the short stick version. Seems as tho when stepping on the bottom step of the stick....you would have to stand bow-legged to avoid the platform section. Am I overthinking this?

Curious as to how you climb using the short stick version. Seems as tho when stepping on the bottom step of the stick....you would have to stand bow-legged to avoid the platform section. Am I overthinking this?
The short one is 12" end to end . It climbs nicely and no the plat form doesn't interfere, I did wonder the same thing when building it but after using its not an issue. However the hand climber does have the problem you are describing, but its really not that difficult to adjust to

The short one is 12" end to end . It climbs nicely and no the plat form doesn't interfere, I did wonder the same thing when building it but after using its not an issue. However the hand climber does have the problem you are describing, but its really not that difficult to adjust to

is there any advantage to using a full length stick vs a very short one?

is there any advantage to using a full length stick vs a very short one?
I prefer the short one , its easy to maneuver with less to clank on. I haven't hunted with the full length one, only tested it in the yard. I built it for my father who has arthritis in his wrists so he needs somthing more sturdy/solid to hold on to rather then use wrist/finger strength to hold the tree

Very nice. Seeing a Helium like that made me think "wouldn't it be cool if the top step/platform folded down the same way as the bottom steps".

I received a pm asking the thickness of the angle - 1/4" also asking if 4" is wide enough.
Its worked well for me, probably more of a person preference. Here is a pic along side a predator for better comparisonScreenshot_20201218-131618_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201218-131445_Gallery.jpg

What is the yellow gear tie for?
When I'm hanging between stick moves I reach down and grab the gear tie with my right hand and detached the rope with my left. Its a simple but extremely helpful.

I also open the hole and put my forearm through it and let it hang off my arm while I repel down

Back