• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My DIY platforms

Midmosaddle

Hey guys, I’m not much of a poster here, more of a creeper! Lol
Anyways, I’ve been eyeballing some of what you guys have been building and stealing ideas
Just wanted to show off a couple platforms I did over the weekend and 1 this afternoon.
I have a total of less than $46 in these 3 platforms! That’s only steel cost, had the welding rods.ED97AFE3-94AA-4A4D-94B9-8719F41A5233.jpeg

Attachments

• 89994380-A1E6-4951-BFF9-050DAC32F718.jpeg
    89994380-A1E6-4951-BFF9-050DAC32F718.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 284
  • 0001619F-2DD4-456D-853D-DB9787994CB8.jpeg
    0001619F-2DD4-456D-853D-DB9787994CB8.jpeg
    404.6 KB · Views: 288
I like it. One thing to consider about this general design is that you are limited on how small of a tree you can hunt if the bottom forks don't sit against the trunk in a good position. I plan to build some along these lines but will add a V at the bottom of the posts as well. If you always hunt big trees, great. I just tend to end up in some pathetic scraggly excuses for trees sometimes. I want to be able to hunt the perfect spot and not be dependant on having a perfect tree.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks LeanMachine, I did think about that! But more so for keeping the “legs” together. I usually hunt pretty big trees.
As cheap and easy as these are to make I will be making more and tweaking the designs on every one I’m sure.

What is the plan for attaching to the tree? Have you strapped them onto anything yet? My platforms always look great till I have strapped in and stand on them . They pry away from the tree at the top due to leverage and my weight on the end of the platform .

Hey guys, I’m not much of a poster here, more of a creeper! Lol
Anyways, I’ve been eyeballing some of what you guys have been building and stealing ideas
Just wanted to show off a couple platforms I did over the weekend and 1 this afternoon.
I have a total of less than $46 in these 3 platforms! That’s only steel cost, had the welding rods.View attachment 11774
They first one looks like money! I was really surprised how rightly my treesuit platform cinched to the tree with just a cam buckle. Super simple, rock solid, and quiet.

What is the plan for attaching to the tree? Have you strapped them onto anything yet? My platforms always look great till I have strapped in and stand on them . They pry away from the tree at the top due to leverage and my weight on the end of the platform .
so far, just put them on a pole with ratchet strap. I’m 220 lbs. jumped up and down on them and they were SOLID!

With the dual bottom braces and a high strap attachment point, the treesuitesque design CANNOT pull away in my experience.

I just tighten my cambuckle strap as tight as I can, and step up onto the platform. It slides down about and inch or two and locks up. No twist, no flex, no shifting, nothing. It's like it grew there.

A pretty slick option for attaching these would be to weld a cam buckle on one side and the us a strap similar to what carl makes. Weld a hook on opposite side. I really hate dealing with ratchet straps in a tree.

And when i say cam buckle i mean like the little mini chain boomers.

A pretty slick option for attaching these would be to weld a cam buckle on one side and the us a strap similar to what carl makes. Weld a hook on opposite side. I really hate dealing with ratchet straps in a tree.

It gets shockingly tight with just a lone wolf strap girth hitched around one leg and looped over the other. This video shows how easy it is, and how you can literally jump all over the thing, even from the side.

No need for a ratchet.:)

Yea i guess the fact that it slides down the tree a touch with weight gives you all the tension you need. I like it.

Really cool, when I get some other parts of my system finally ironed out I’m going to have to weld some of these up for myself. I have some 1x1x1/8 drops out in the shop, this and some
Bolts will be a great pre set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thinking out loud here; could you take the perch design you did ,which i like by the way, and add a small angled brace downward on each side and put a bolt through the square tubing legs at the top instead of welding them and then pin them through the angle braces? This could allow the legs to fold up flat and have a small profile to fit inside a backpack better.

Just thinking out loud here; could you take the perch design you did ,which i like by the way, and add a small angled brace downward on each side and put a bolt through the square tubing legs at the top instead of welding them and then pin them through the angle braces? This could allow the legs to fold up flat and have a small profile to fit inside a backpack better.
Yea, you could! I’m making these for presets so choose the welded route

It is crazy how much your perch design looks like the one i did as a perch clone. When i first seen it in the small picture i thiught you stome my picture. Lol great work by the way!

It is crazy how much your perch design looks like the one i did as a perch clone. When i first seen it in the small picture i thiught you stome my picture. Lol great work by the way!
I stole your idea!! Lol. I whipped this together real quick like, I will be tweaking the next few and posting up when I get to it

I stole your idea!! Lol. I whipped this together real quick like, I will be tweaking the next few and posting up when I get to it
Im glad someone else got to use the design too. Thats why i posted it. I was at the drawing table for a long time to come up with dimentions i was happy with. Glad you could use them too. Great idea to incorporate it similar to the treesuit design btw. What did that one particular end up weighing? Ive got a buddy that needs a platform but doesnt want heavy and he doesnt use the wild edge steps so i might steel it and make one like yours

Im glad someone else got to use the design too. Thats why i posted it. I was at the drawing table for a long time to come up with dimentions i was happy with. Glad you could use them too. Great idea to incorporate it similar to the treesuit design btw. What did that one particular end up weighing? Ive got a buddy that needs a platform but doesnt want heavy and he doesnt use the wild edge steps so i might steel it and make one like yours
I never weighed any of them, may be able to get those weights tomorrow and get back to ya

Back