• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My Dream Broadhead

tyson12590

I know there are a ton of great broadheads on the market but I cannot find the one I want. I know this is VERY picky but here is what I want.
  • 2 blade screw in fixed head
  • double bevel
  • 1.5"wide by 2.25"+ long
  • Tanto tip
  • replacement blades
  • factory sharpened
  • straight blades (Not convex or concave)
  • $10 to $13 per broadhead

Basically I want a wider Magnus Stinger or a cheaper Grizzly Stick Silver Flame XL with straight blades. If anybody thinks they know of a head that meets this description please let me know. I emailed Mike Sohm at Magnus about this and he explained that it cost him $25,000 to create a new head. I can understand why he would be hesitant to do so.

Not straight blades but look at the Simmons Mako. They are only slightly concave compared to the others in his line.

The weak link is always going to be the thread connection no matter how it's put together with a screw in. You can also use glue in/glue on adapters....no thread.

I have a 180 Snuffer that bent the blades at the tip but the aluminum adapter stayed straight.

I also have a 200 grain stainless that snapped where the threads stopped.

I'm assuming you don't want the piece that glues inside the broadhead....prefering one solid piece.

I know there are a ton of great broadheads on the market but I cannot find the one I want. I know this is VERY picky but here is what I want.
  • 2 blade screw in fixed head
  • double bevel
  • 1.5"wide by 2.25"+ long
  • Tanto tip
  • replacement blades
  • factory sharpened
  • straight blades (Not convex or concave)
  • $10 to $13 per broadhead

Basically I want a wider Magnus Stinger or a cheaper Grizzly Stick Silver Flame XL with straight blades. If anybody thinks they know of a head that meets this description please let me know. I emailed Mike Sohm at Magnus about this and he explained that it cost him $25,000 to create a new head. I can understand why he would be hesitant to do so.
I'm not sure that a double bevel can actually have a true Tanto tip. Tanto is done on a single bevel.

My dream broadhead already existed, it's the vandieman 225. Awesome head

I didn't realize that a tanto tip was only for single bevels. I want a tip like the Magnus Stingers rather than a needle point. Thanks for the clarification.
For double bevel heads, just file a small chisel tip on the very tip...maybe only an eighths inch or so. It will still penetrate well and won't have the tendency to curl on bone like a needle point does sometimes.
When I shot double bevel (Magnus, Zwicky, etc) I always blunted that very tip of the head. Its an old tactic.

Back