• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My experience with Scent Control

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
I wanted to post this for informational purposes and for those who are on the fence about investing in an elaborate scent control regimen. These experiences are mine alone and I don't intend to advocate or discredit anything. I just wanted to share my experiences and I'll try to keep it short.....

2010-2017:

In 2010 began to make an effort to cover my scent. Before this I never really gave it a whole lot of thought. I began to purchase and religiously utilize products such as scent free detergents, field sprays, air tight containers, and cover scents. I never thought it would work completely but I thought it may help and could be the difference between killing and not killing a deer. During this time if I didn't have "clean clothes" to hunt in I would rather not go. I became somewhat dependent on the idea of "hunting clean". Keep in mind I also hunt in the South and you begin to sweat the moment you step out of the truck. Needless to say, throughout this time period I got winded. A lot. Either by a deer getting my wind or by a deer crossing my entry route. After this happening so many times I wanted to make a huge change and immersed myself in information put out by John Eberhart. I studied everything he did and decided to dive in head first with scentlok.

2018:

For me this was a season of experimentation. I learned a lot. I had a complete early season suit and a mid season suit with all required accessories to use it properly to include the gloves and facemask. I cared for it and used it EXACTLY like John E says to and it became an obsession to keep it in ready to hunt mode. It was constant work but if it worked to me it would be worth it. No matter how hot it would be early season (sometimes in the 90s) I would at a minimum be wearing a full scentlok early season suit with rubber boots, never taking my facemask or gloves off. I had mixed experiences with it. To sum it all up I seemed to still get winded by older deer but I would have younger deer meandering around under my tree with no clue I was there. Honestly, it took a lot of the fun out of hunting for me. At home, I was constantly tending to my scentlok garments or washing other gear in scent free detergent and ensuring my containers stayed sealed at all times. Hunting in that stuff in the heat was miserable. Hunting was becoming a stressful second full time job for me. I finished the season and that was that.

2019:

This year I conducted my first bowhunt in September in a full scentlok suit. While in the tree I thought to myself I'm not doing this anymore. Weather it works or not this just isn't for me. Hunting should be fun and it just wasn't anymore. I got home from that hunt and threw my scentlok stuff in a tote and decided I was done. Following that decision I have been running another experiment. The exact opposite actually. I don't wear scentlok anything and most of the time I haven't washed my clothes in a few hunts since the weather has cooled down . This year, taking the Dan Infalt approach, I have had more fun than ever hunting and scouting, seen more deer, and spent a whole lot less money. This season I feel like I have learned so much by getting away from the trickery and just employing old school woodsmanship, playing the wind, and forgetting everything else. I have learned that keeping the wind and thermals in your favor is the only form of scent control that is guaranteed to work. When I got my first still hunting kill, I was covered in sweat, hadn't showered in two days, and was wearing leather boots. The doe was so close I could lob a rock underhand and hit her. I killed her standing beside her at 15 yards with the wind in my favor. She had no clue I was there. I have had a bunch of other encounters like this, this season all without one ounce of scent control.

I didn't post this to detract anyone from employing any form of scent control. I wanted to share my experiences and what I have learned by not using it. I also wanted to inform those who are on the fence about buying scent control items that you do not have to spend the money on that stuff to kill deer. Playing the wind and pre planning your routes is free and adds to the experience. Hope this helps anyone who is interested.

I haven't tried Scentlok but your summary of 2018 is exactly what I am afraid will happen to me and I don't need that stress in my life right now. Maybe someday.

This is my second season of abandoning the regimen and I cannot tell a difference. The deer don’t care what I smell like as long as they don’t smell me.

With that being said my clothes stay in a box or bag but my pack does not. Kind of a mix of habit and convenience with how I store gear. The important thing is I don’t stress about any unnatural molecules attaching themselves to the fabric and being brought afield. I still use green soap in the shower because I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For the record I do wear scentlok but I don't take my scent control regime to anywhere too seriously. I may reheat my scentlok once a season (other than before the first sit). My outer clothes ride in an open tub in the bed of my pickup under a hard tonneau. No special treatment.

EDIT: I do spend more effort on trying set up for the correct wind conditions than I do scent control but I figure it doesn't hurt anything to use the scentlok.

That said, I hunt remote from home for long stretches during the season and may go 4-5 days without a shower. My buddies think I'm full of crap but my experience over several years has shown I'm LESS likely to get winded on the LAST day I'm out than the first day I'm out. Twice this year I had does dead downwind while climbing, in just a sweatshirt, on days that I would have described myself as very ripe. They paid no attention. Everytime I was winded it was on the first or second day back from a trip home (and a shower).

I'm a pretty firm believer that, at least in the area that I hunt, the deer are equating the unnatural scents and perfumes from the cleaning products we use as an indicator of human presence. Honestly they just don't run across the scent of a "ripe" human all that often anymore. I use "scentfree" soap and shampoo but I have to question how "scent free" they really are.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
@Murph4028 Ive had too many positive experiences with scentlok to discount its effectiveness. That said it will cook you in the early season. If you’re not having fun it’s not worth it. Nothing wrong at all with hunting the wind. It has been effective since we were killing deer with sharp sticks.

I don't believe any of the scent control products really work. Scent Lok / Ozonics / Sprays / etc. However, I definitely believe I could be wrong.

Even if they do work and you could prove it to me, I still wouldn't use them. It's just a heck of a lot less hassle to just hunt the wind as best you can. And, it's OK if the deer win from time to time.

I have so many advantages over deer..my brain, my weapon, my saddle, cameras, sat imagery, etc. etc....it's OK to let them keep one advantage.

I quit all scent control other than playing the wind and sold all my scentlok prior to my 2018 season. My success has been the same or better just playing the wind.

Honestly the scent routine wasn't a whole lot of extra work but there were things that I don't miss about it: Always changing in the field, endlessly running dryer for reactivation, having to have seperate hunting clothes for different outdoor activities.... it goes on.

I kind of enjoy not worrying about it anymore: I can wear my hunting clothes in the house, in the truck, etc. Also i'm way more comfortable in the woods in my high-dollar hunting clothes (first lite). The fit is better and way warmer than any of my scentlok stuff ever was. Plus I can also wear them for other outdoor activities not just deer hunting: small game, upland bird, ice fishing, spring turkey. Viewed through the lens of just buying clothing to only hunt one species of animal in it seems even that much sillier.

I don't miss it and don't see myself going back.

I have come full circle on this also. I haven’t bought Scent Lok in quite a few years but my Huntin buddies definitely would have called me a scent control freak before this year. My experience over 20 years of freakin out over scent was just like yours @Murph4028. No matter what I did scent control wise, if a deer got downwind of me it smelled me. PERIOD. I still take a shower in unscented soap and store my clothes in a Rubbermaid tub or HS scent bags but that’s just kinda out of habit and convenience like @iamcorey said. I am wearing my huntin clothes on the ride to my spots now, where as before that was a HUGE no no! I’m just trying real hard to hunt the wind now. I feel like I’m seeing just as many deer as I did when I was freakin out about scent control. Watching the HP guys having success on pressured Public land bucks after getting fuel and hammering back convenience store grub as well as my own huntin buddies knocking down just as many bucks as me with their old spice deodorant on, finally turned the tide for me! Heck I even bought a bee smoker the other day and I’m gonna try it next time I get a chance to hunt! Go Figure!

I feel like I wrote this myself. Took a good bit of the fun out of it. Watching THP ruined me for the better. I now I have way more fun... and actually more success. If you’re not careful, the ‘scent control mindset’ can hurt more than help. Thanks for sharing

And pods of milkweed are way cheaper than scentlok.

I don't believe any of the scent control products really work. Scent Lok / Ozonics / Sprays / etc. However, I definitely believe I could be wrong.

Even if they do work and you could prove it to me, I still wouldn't use them. It's just a heck of a lot less hassle to just hunt the wind as best you can. And, it's OK if the deer win from time to time.

I have so many advantages over deer..my brain, my weapon, my saddle, cameras, sat imagery, etc. etc....it's OK to let them keep one advantage.
Well said

For the record I do wear scentlok but I don't take my scent control regime to anywhere too seriously. I may reheat my scentlok once a season (other than before the first sit). My outer clothes ride in an open tub in the bed of my pickup under a hard tonneau. No special treatment.

EDIT: I do spend more effort on trying set up for the correct wind conditions than I do scent control but I figure it doesn't hurt anything to use the scentlok.

That said, I hunt remote from home for long stretches during the season and may go 4-5 days without a shower. My buddies think I'm full of crap but my experience over several years has shown I'm LESS likely to get winded on the LAST day I'm out than the first day I'm out. Twice this year I had does dead downwind while climbing, in just a sweatshirt, on days that I would have described myself as very ripe. They paid no attention. Everytime I was winded it was on the first or second day back from a trip home (and a shower).

I'm a pretty firm believer that, at least in the area that I hunt, the deer are equating the unnatural scents and perfumes from the cleaning products we use as an indicator of human presence. Honestly they just don't run across the scent of a "ripe" human all that often anymore. I use "scentfree" soap and shampoo but I have to question how "scent free" they really are.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Nothing wrong with buying or wearing scentlok. They do make nice quality hunting clothes. But that's all they are to me personally. I still wear my scentlok stuff sometimes as like a base layer or whatever but that's just because I already own it. But just like everything else it hardly ever gets washed or dryed and gets thrown in the back seat of my truck like the rest of my stuff lol.

I feel like I wrote this myself. Took a good bit of the fun out of it. Watching THP ruined me for the better. I now I have way more fun... and actually more success. If you’re not careful, the ‘scent control mindset’ can hurt more than help. Thanks for sharing

And pods of milkweed are way cheaper than scentlok.
Yes milkweed has taught me a lot. I also think I'm addicted to collecting it lol

I am wearing my huntin clothes on the ride to my spots now, where as before that was a HUGE no no!

Still get a little twitchy about smelling like a sack of Hardee’s when I pick up breakfast biscuits for the early shift guys at the check in station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many of you all have 30 bucks in the records books from public land? Because according to John Eberhart he does and is all about that scent lock/activated carbon. Idk, after watching one of his interviews, I'm willing to give it a try, least to some degree.

I have to add one more comment. Although I don't take the scent control of my clothes all that seriously, I am almost fanatical about my hunting boots. I NEVER wear them anywhere but out in the woods. They stay in an open top plastic bag in the bed of the truck until I'm ready to put them on and walk into the woods and when I get back they come off and go back in the bag before I put them in the bed. I also NEVER handle them below the top 2-3 inches it takes to pull them on.

I figure that is the one thing I can't keep from transferring scent to teh ground with so I try to keep them as scent free as possible. Hopefully it helps minimize the scent intrusion I leave behind as walk through deer's habitat. Do they notice my tracks, sure, sometimes but not as often as I used to see.

How many of you all have 30 bucks in the records books from public land? Because according to John Eberhart he does and is all about that scent lock/activated carbon. Idk, after watching one of his interviews, I'm willing to give it a try, least to some degree.

Scentlok is only one part of his extreme scent control routine which is, unfortuantely, what most people key in on and what he mostly attributes his success to.

Along with meticulously storing and caring for his scentlok he also purports to do the following:
  • Scent free shower before every hunt
  • Only dresses when he's at his hunting location/does not wear hunting clothes at any other time other than in the field
  • Alters diet prior and during season ie: no coffee, spicy food, etc.
  • Uses ozone to treat his clothes and vehicles
  • Shaves/removes body hair from certain regions during season
  • Uses no cover scents or sprays of any kind
  • Hunting at extreme heights of 30+ ft high

To be fair nobody is arguing with his success, or even his use of scentlok. But you should also look at the bigger picture of John's success which is his dedication to post-season scouting and deep understanding of deer behavior.

Everyone else is chiming in with their experiences. Other posters have already said it changed their hunts for the better.

The extent to which one has to go to beat a deer's nose is, to put it lightly, extreme. I know guys who have regiments that I would consider superior to John's. To include scent-free rooms, separate bathing facilities, washing machines, etc.. None of them see or kill more deer than any other killers I know. Even if you were in a bubble, the deer will still smell the ground disturbance where you walked. Some care and some don't.

Back