• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My first DIY platform

Coleman011

Hey guys I’m new to saddle hunting and figured I’d show off my first DIY platform. It seems to pack together really nice and is definitely a lot lighter than my old climber stand. I guess we’ll have to see how it all works during hunting season.
6B9A2001-9273-4CD5-9B48-F9F36A1819A1.png1A700F52-E5C1-4C2C-B39D-6D4AED3D1B94.png0B55249F-7A40-4C31-810E-6EE59635FFEE.png200BA15F-85C3-4811-9D0F-EFED3A654574.pngAD4BBE5C-0371-4FA9-A171-98CF9C20AB9E.png

That’s slick. I’m thinking of going the xop route for platform too. How’d you do that? How’s it attach to tree?

Looks cool. Is the seat there to serve as padding for your knees?

That’s slick. I’m thinking of going the xop route for platform too. How’d you do that? How’s it attach to tree?

I actually used a lone wolf seat instead of an XOP seat since it was a lot cheaper. I ended up drilling and tapping holes for bolts to use as a place to hook up the straps. I also had to do quite a bit of grinding and filing to smooth the inside edge of the platform. Hopefully I answered your question.B5F2C7FC-2A50-426D-826A-1286F0945B10.jpeg243382EF-8F8B-4C86-B0E7-9C076784D0B4.jpegA2111AB0-705B-4C26-A13A-E9901EE4F93B.jpeg

Looks cool. Is the seat there to serve as padding for your knees?

Yeah I had to make the vertical post long enough so that I could use the suction cups on the hawk sticks so I figured I might as well make a spot for my knees. It also doubles as a good pad for carrying the sticks. I also added a couple hooks on the backside for my quiver and whatever else I need to hang.

Nice job. You actually made the suction cups work with your sticks and platform. Brilliant.

I actually used a lone wolf seat instead of an XOP seat since it was a lot cheaper. I ended up drilling and tapping holes for bolts to use as a place to hook up the straps. I also had to do quite a bit of grinding and filing to smooth the inside edge of the platform. Hopefully I answered your question.View attachment 15111View attachment 15112View attachment 15113
I actually used a lone wolf seat instead of an XOP seat since it was a lot cheaper. I ended up drilling and tapping holes for bolts to use as a place to hook up the straps. I also had to do quite a bit of grinding and filing to smooth the inside edge of the platform. Hopefully I answered your question.View attachment 15111View attachment 15112View attachment 15113
are you using the ropes for support cables? And are you setting/camming it over like a regular lock on? When standing on platform is downward pressure applied to the support post or to the tree?

are you using the ropes for support cables? And are you setting/camming it over like a regular lock on? When standing on platform is downward pressure applied to the support post or to the tree?

No, the green ropes are just used for backpack straps. All of the downward pressure goes into the post.

Did you buy the suction cups on you stand post? Been looking for some of them

Did you buy the suction cups on you stand post? Been looking for some of them
The hawk sticks came a bag of replacement “male” ends so I just used those. I then just attached them to the “female” suction cups on the hawk sticks

Back