• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My first saddle harvest

SickVoodoo

I was lucky enough to win a bear tag in Michigans upper peninsula this year. I did a lot of research and against friends advice I decided not to hire a guide. In Michigan we can bait so I setup baits on a ridge a mile from the closest road full of oaks dropping acorns. I had limited setup experience with my new setup and mods so I was surprised when I was able to get up and set smooth and quiet. I have 4 lone wolf sticks with felt and rope mods, a older trophyline saddle I bought off of archery talk, and rigging I made with help from posts on here. About two hours into the sit I was surprised how comfortable I was until I tried to move. My left leg was completely asleep and numb. I was relying on my top stick for the platform so it was a little awkward. I stood up on the small step and was trying to regain feeling in my leg when I heard this bear walk in. He stopped 20 yards from me and put his nose to the air and looked right in my direction. After a few tense moments he put his head back down and continued along the ridge. I sat back in the saddle, swung out from behind the tree, position my gun, and took the shot. It happened quick but all the new gear worked great. I believe I would of definitely been busted in a traditional stand. He ended up not being a B&C but what a trophy to me. First ever bear hunt on the first night with new gear and completely DIY on public land. Thanks to all the knowledge shared on this site I managed a great harvest. Hopefully I can keep it going into this weekend with our bow opener on Sunday. I just need to figure out how to keep my legs from going to sleep. Ha.

9119f2ccf053c6b67bffc097ee3e6561.jpg

That is a trophy and ur story is darned impressive! Congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool!! I've got 9 preference points and hope to get a UP bear in the next year or two, whenever I can get a way!!

I managed to get the second period in Baraga with 5 points. The trick is trying to find a place the dog hunters don't want to go. I plan on trying for first period next time so I don't need to worry about dogs.

Very cool story man!! Congratulations on the bear that is truly awesome. I will second @noxninja thats a sweet shirt!!

Back