• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My helium's.

denots

If I had anything negative to say about my helium's when I first got them it was their inability to stack proper. With the standoff bolt being the longest point on the stick when you stack them they only had two contact points which made them teeter totter around. So after I cut my sticks down to 15 and 1/2 in, I removed my standoffs and drill two additional holes. Then replaced the step bolts with 2" button head screws. Those bolts also are what attaches the standoff to the stick now. That made four contact points so they were much more stable, but it kept the sticks too far apart. I drilled the face of the stick out to accept the additional length of the 2 inch bolts which keeps them from moving around, and allows them to stop more closely together. I really like the way they turned out. They stack really nice now and only weigh just over five and a half pounds. Total length with steps folded is 20 1/2 inches. The only thing that was not included in the weight will be the amsteel which I have not put on since I still need to paint them.
f0b255171d88cd2f5943669d8fae92fa.jpg
6cc5951ea74032376e5cf475f51041cd.jpg
9d47eb62a87f0fa9ae6c34eeaac378a8.jpg
ab94f30bdf5c3b7d624a0c98c26e3c5a.jpg
685d703a73763ef815bd15a5e1c1d005.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If I could make a suggestion I would look at everything they have on that site different size spacers anything you might want to purchase and try to get it all in one shot. Also they start discounting the pieces as you increase the number so for the spacers it was cheaper to order 25 of them then it was the order 16 but the shipping remain the same which was a $4 flat rate.

How are you cutting the sticks?

Also when you add a versa button can it go in the he same hole that’s already there?
I just used a hacksaw to cut them.

You probably could use the same hole if you only cut 6 or 8 inches like most that cut their sticks. I cut mine to 15 1/2" so the original hole was right around the middle of the stick. I moved it about 3" closer to the top.

@denots it looks great. What size washer and bolt did you use for the versa button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1/4" fender washer, and 1/4 x 1 1/2"(I think) socket head bolt. I think I am going to change the bolt to a button head. It still touches ever so slightly when stacked. I'll double check the length on that bolt tomorrow and let you know for sure.

Looks very nice. Pretty short step, no? About 6-7" less per stick isn't it? What's your strategy - double aider or such? Thanks much.

If I had anything negative to say about my helium's when I first got them it was their inability to stack proper. With the standoff bolt being the longest point on the stick when you stack them they only had two contact points which made them teeter totter around. So after I cut my sticks down to 15 and 1/2 in, I removed my standoffs and drill two additional holes. Then replaced the step bolts with 2" button head screws. Those bolts also are what attaches the standoff to the stick now. That made four contact points so they were much more stable, but it kept the sticks too far apart. I drilled the face of the stick out to accept the additional length of the 2 inch bolts which keeps them from moving around, and allows them to stop more closely together. I really like the way they turned out. They stack really nice now and only weigh just over five and a half pounds. Total length with steps folded is 20 1/2 inches. The only thing that was not included in the weight will be the amsteel which I have not put on since I still need to paint them.
f0b255171d88cd2f5943669d8fae92fa.jpg
6cc5951ea74032376e5cf475f51041cd.jpg
9d47eb62a87f0fa9ae6c34eeaac378a8.jpg
ab94f30bdf5c3b7d624a0c98c26e3c5a.jpg
685d703a73763ef815bd15a5e1c1d005.jpg

Are u still happy with the stick mods?

Any changes u would make if u did them again?

I’m staring at some right now trying to decide how short to cut & if I attach stand off thru the steps

Thought about actually going a loo shorter than 15 1/2” & get 6 short sticks out of the 3 full length

I’ll be carrying 5 or 6 sticks anyway so going super short would save weight and pack smaller

Are u still happy with the stick mods?

Any changes u would make if u did them again?

I’m staring at some right now trying to decide how short to cut & if I attach stand off thru the steps

Thought about actually going a loo shorter than 15 1/2” & get 6 short sticks out of the 3 full length

I’ll be carrying 5 or 6 sticks anyway so going super short would save weight and pack smaller

Bump.

Wondering the same things as @Tapeworm

@denots got any updates or lessons learned?

Sorry guys. Wasn't trying to ignore anyone. No notification for some reason. I am very happy with them. I use the on most hunts. I just bought some versa straps to try. That should shave a minute or two off my climb. As long as you are comfortable climbing with an aider, I think they are perfect. I average about 20' with not much effort. There profile isn't any larger than my pack. Makes it easier getting though thick stuff.

Back