• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My maiden voyage!

denots

I bought a set of spurs a couple of weeks ago. Been waiting on the Kiwi klimbers deal and figured I buy $200 set before I spent the big money and made sure I like them first. I have never used climbing spurs before, so I had no idea what to expect. I must say it is a rather odd feeling when you first step on the tree. But before I went out I watched about a three or four minute video and it made the whole process very easy. When I first started I just made little bitty baby moves maybe 3 or 4 inch at a time and got used to leaning back and trusting that the spikes were set in the tree deep enough. After I got about three or four feet off the ground I just stood there for about 5 minutes to kind of get used to the feeling. It's kind of like standing up, but not really the same at all. It's hard to describe. Well the tree I decided to climb had a hanger not far from my kids playset. I guess about 35 or so feet in the tree. After standing just above ground level for about 5 minutes I took off up the tree. I use my tether to move around limbs I just took my time and slowly began to trust that I was not going anywhere. I think most of the trust came once I started fighting with the limb at 35 foot trying to push and pull on it to get it to come loose. And it finally did come lose. It dropped about 10 foot to the next crook of the tree, and I had to move down and start the process all over again. I will say by the end of my trip I was extremely comfortable and had no issues at all. I definitely can see what all the fuss is about. These things are freaking awesome. I think the biggest drawback is having to put them on and off but outside of that they were amazingly comfortable to climb with very easy fast and efficient. I definitely need to spend some more time practicing before I want to do it in the dark but I believe three or four more trips up and down tree and I should be ready. I'm definitely buying the Kiwis now. Climbing spurs are awesome!
54571f8bcc09de26740c78f38d137f72.jpg
17ab112617d50a60d3f4b4e25ce1f869.jpg
65b3b425995d5c3ad447313cbcac91fb.jpg
a32a64a0f121860ae133413b8437433e.jpg
255f2e86dde107f9abfcf1ef516c1caf.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That's awesome! I had a similar experience the first time I climbed, definitely a different feeling at first but it didn't take long to settle in. If my home state didn't have restrictions on penetrating the bark on trees I'd be buying the kiwi's too.

Are those evokes?
You're probably going to think I'm an idiot but I have no idea. I just know they cost me $220 outside of that I'm clueless. I think you had commented on the classified ad to be honest but I'd have to go back and look to make sure.

I
You're probably going to think I'm an idiot but I have no idea. I just know they cost me $220 outside of that I'm clueless. I think you had commented on the classified ad to be honest but I'd have to go back and look to make sure.

I may have. LOL. I looked at them. Curious how you like yours. They look pretty slick

I

I may have. LOL. I looked at them. Curious how you like yours. They look pretty slick

I had to go back and look at the classified ad. They're Geckos and I love them. I don't know much about them and I've only climb with them once but that was enough for me. It was kind of like the first time I saddle hunted. I knew it was just the way I was going to do it from there on out. I can't use these on public land here in Louisiana, but I can on private which I do have some access to.

I
I had to go back and look at the classified ad. They're Geckos and I love them. I don't know much about them and I've only climb with them once but that was enough for me. It was kind of like the first time I saddle hunted. I knew it was just the way I was going to do it from there on out. I can't use these on public land here in Louisiana, but I can on private which I do have some access to.

I remember now. You got an awesome deal on them. Glad they're working for you.

Back