• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

my one and only attempt

Oldnotdead

At a euro mount. I do not usually do anything with my deer heads but This buck I shot the year are grandson was born and I thought maybe I could do one so he could have it in his room one day...If I can get it past his Mom..I now have 2 grandsons so may do another for him. I left it natural no "bleaching" wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be,IMG_1670.JPG nor did it take long.

Did you use a pressure washer?

Looks great for a 10th attempt from where is sit. Good job!

No a simmer in dawn and glycerin. But I hand clean it thoroughly first.eye balls were gross, used wooden skewers for the nasal passages. I did spray the tight areas with hydrogen peroxide to kill bacteria.

I simmer mine in soda ash and pressure wash while still warm. No need to even cut eyes or meat off. Then apply 40 volume hair bleach from a beauty shop. Nice and white and not a lot of work. Put 20 mule team borax inside brain cavity.

I simmer mine in soda ash and pressure wash while still warm. No need to even cut eyes or meat off. Then apply 40 volume hair bleach from a beauty shop. Nice and white and not a lot of work. Put 20 mule team borax inside brain cavity.
What is the borax for?

It helps with any smell at all inside the cranium. I have finished them w/o it but it helps. I wish I could post pics. Did last yrs elk and it is awesome snow white

It helps with any smell at all inside the cranium. I have finished them w/o it but it helps. I wish I could post pics. Did last yrs elk and it is awesome snow white
Nice thanks for the info, learn something new every single day!!

Borax is what I use to dry my turkey fans and wings. These I use on cheap foam decoys. I have a or had a you tube video of a jake with real fan I made being beaten by another jake. He wouldn't leave until he stomped him into the ground,slapping it like a prize fighter with his wings. Dries them up nice.
I left my skull natural. White is nice and looks great,though for me it looks a bit commercial. I'm not into the dipped skulls either. Just a personal preference. Though over the last couple of years it has lightened some naturally.

Back