• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My Opinions & Experiences On Saddles So far. Also, need input to improve.

Longbowwally

SH Member
Please feel free to make comments on what is stated below. I appreciate feedback and opinions so I can improve my saddle setup....

I've been playing with the Tethrd Mantis, SYSHauler, Tether, Linesmans Belt and Predator platform for about a week now. Here's what I've found so far:

1. Mantis saddle - The saddle is great. I can adjust tether height, and saddle position to make it reasonably comfortable. Very good product.

2. Don't see where the micro adjusters do any good for me.

3. Very happy with the tethrd Linesmans belt and tether.

4. SYSHauler - great little bag. Holds my linesman belt and tether easily. I don't like it attached to my saddle though. To far behind me and also wants to jump around if you walk in wearing the saddle. Will come up with some other place to keep it.

5. Molle loops - for me, these are about as useful as teats on a boar hog. To far behind me to be much value. This is not unique to the Mantis - I think the kestrel has the same situation. Please, someone tell me what they use them for...For me, I have to twist around to much to get to stuff attached to them.

6. Predator Platform - Game Changer.....I know, I know, some people make fun of this statement but it really is a game changer for me. Couldn't be happier with it. Super easy to set up and also very stable. Great product. G2's video on how he connects it to his linesman belt to be able to use both hands setting it up is a great idea.

I still need to figure out a good way to go up the tree with the LW sticks so they don't bang together, but I really like how easy and quick they are to climb with...Please help me come up with a good way to use these. I know there are threads that cover this but I appreciate any input.

Comments, personal experiences, same opinions as mine or different...All comments are welcome....

The paracord loops on each side are great ways to hold sticks while climbing. Been using a movable webbing aider and getting 20-25 feet with 3 sticks.

Great comments Wally. How many sticks are you carrying? If you are hunting with a longbow, I don't expect that you are hunting much over 16 feet?

I'm running pretty much the same setup as you: 4 LW sticks, predator, and mantis. My only real complaint right now is the length of my LW sticks... i find them clanging and banging and getting stuck on thick crap more often than i'd like. Otherwise climbing with them is great, and i've got setting them up and taking them down to a science.

The predator platform is almost stupid easy to setup. Like I expect it to be way harder to set it rock solid. A++ product IMO.

I have some minor complaints about my mantis, but no deal breakers by any means. The webbing for the waist belt and leg straps tends to get twisted up easily. The leg strap connector, for whatever reason, doesn't always want to stay seated in the loop. I have seen similar hardware with a little spring clip on the end to keep it in place - will have to find the piece of gear that has that, but maybe it's not load rated?

I also don't know if the microfit adjusters would be worth my time - I find the stock saddle plenty comfy as is.

I really liked the removeable bridge on my kestrel, but have not found the fixed bridge to be an issue on my mantis. Though I would like the option of different fixed bridge lengths from the factory. I still need to redo the one that came so it's a little shorter.

I just got my sys hauler and haven't taken it hunting yet. It looks nice. Easy to install. Less bulky than the cheap airsoft dump pouches I was using. I'm not likely to walk in wearing it though. I much prefer packing my saddle in if it's an option. The positioning of the molle loops has never been perfect on earlier saddles either, so it is what it is. I just use mine for rope storage and that's about it. Keep the linemans belt out and tree tether out of the way when i'm not using them.

Jasper2 - I'm using 4 LW sticks. I was a hardcore trad guy for 20 years - one of those 'elite' who thought you weren't a real bowhunter unless you shot trad....Got smarter in my old age lol and now use a compound also....I kill deer with the trad bows every year but I've gotten real picky on size of bucks I shoot and so use the compound when 'trophy hunting' to give me that little extra edge.....

I will be hunting lower this year when shooting trad due to the saddle allowing me to 'hide' behind the tree - definitely good to be lower when shooting trad - but I have shot many animals with longbow and recurve with stands 25 feet high when using a climber....

I use the molle loops to make paracrord loops which carry my sticks up the tree. I also attach my rope bag with a carabiner that holds my tether. To me the gear loops like an RC harness make more sense than molle, but they work ok. Either way something to attach climbing gear is essential.

I don't use the adjuster in the tree but I do use it walking with the saddle on. It draws up slack and keeps the saddle from flopping around while walking.

Good for you man! I actually do the same thing. I hunt with every piece of legal archery equipment around anymore. Though I still prefer my trad gear. I tried the taller stands when I first started trad hunting but just couldn't get the hang of it.
At any rate, bc you can use the tree for cover, I'll bet that you could drop one stick fairly easy with a simple aider.

Aiders is something I haven't tried Jasper2.....Dropping one stick could really make a difference to me...Thanks for the idea....

Great ideas from everyone....Keep the info coming....

I went from 4 LW sticks to 3, no aider, I feel like I'm plenty high enough at the top of 3 sticks. With 3 I can set the first, then temporarily set the second from ground level then only carry one up with me. Additionally, even if I have 4, I have the small strap with clip, as well as another shoulder strap, so I just nest them together and go.

Please feel free to make comments on what is stated below. I appreciate feedback and opinions so I can improve my saddle setup....

I've been playing with the Tethrd Mantis, SYSHauler, Tether, Linesmans Belt and Predator platform for about a week now. Here's what I've found so far:

1. Mantis saddle - The saddle is great. I can adjust tether height, and saddle position to make it reasonably comfortable. Very good product.

2. Don't see where the micro adjusters do any good for me.

3. Very happy with the tethrd Linesmans belt and tether.

4. SYSHauler - great little bag. Holds my linesman belt and tether easily. I don't like it attached to my saddle though. To far behind me and also wants to jump around if you walk in wearing the saddle. Will come up with some other place to keep it.

5. Molle loops - for me, these are about as useful as teats on a boar hog. To far behind me to be much value. This is not unique to the Mantis - I think the kestrel has the same situation. Please, someone tell me what they use them for...For me, I have to twist around to much to get to stuff attached to them.

6. Predator Platform - Game Changer.....I know, I know, some people make fun of this statement but it really is a game changer for me. Couldn't be happier with it. Super easy to set up and also very stable. Great product. G2's video on how he connects it to his linesman belt to be able to use both hands setting it up is a great idea.

I still need to figure out a good way to go up the tree with the LW sticks so they don't bang together, but I really like how easy and quick they are to climb with...Please help me come up with a good way to use these. I know there are threads that cover this but I appreciate any input.

Comments, personal experiences, same opinions as mine or different...All comments are welcome....

1. Awesome
2. It sounds like you got the right size Mantis. Meaning it fits you good
3. Awesome
4. How do you use it if not attached to you? Seems like not useful to you. I would try not using a bag and Carpenter wrapping your lineman for the walk in that’s how I store mine. No bag needed. I do how ever have a bag for my tether and bow holder.
5. See 4
6. I can see that. I use ring of steps and made a Platform but never carried it into the woods. But it does seem sweet at the house.

Add and aider and carry 3 sticks. I put my sticks in the bridge loops it works fantastic not sure about the single steps of lone wolf though
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea's and comments - I think the aiders are something I need to try. Using the bridge loops to hang sticks on going up sounds like a good idea - will try that....I really like the sticks as they are super fast going up the tree, just need to work out some of the details....

On that note, the bridge loops work good for a stick on each side & you can keep em in place with a small niteize gear tie just leave it on the stick back where the v bracket is. You really only need one twist. I’ve always been afraid I’d bump one out or just make extra noise. It seems to help

If you are having trouble with LW sticks clanging while climbing the tree, try to use the LW step to hook on the saddle. For years, I had the same problem, then I saw a video somewhere where a guy simply turned his bottom LW step slightly out (or slightly pointing toward the top step so that it makes a hook). Once you have the "hook" find a place to hook it (e.g., the tether loop, the inside of the saddle, molle webbing), and climb. The stick stay tight and do not move or swing.

If you are having trouble with LW sticks clanging while climbing the tree, try to use the LW step to hook on the saddle. For years, I had the same problem, then I saw a video somewhere where a guy simply turned his bottom LW step slightly out (or slightly pointing toward the top step so that it makes a hook). Once you have the "hook" find a place to hook it (e.g., the tether loop, the inside of the saddle, molle webbing), and climb. The stick stay tight and do not move or swing.

Do you have a pic of this ? Sounds like a good fix, but I’m having trouble picturing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attach first stick to climb. Temporarily attach second stick as high as you can. Hang third stick form paracord loop. (I have my platform from other side with paracord loop as well) Climb on fist stick, attach lineman's belt, reposition second stick from its temp location to where it needs to be, climb up on second stick and remove/attach third stick. Climb up, remove/attach platform. Attach tether and climb up into platform.

Back