• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My primal platform

You can get the strap super tight thanks to the extra leverage of the platform, but the strap stretch will still allow for a bit of pull away. I did put my full weight on each side without issue.
I may make another with a few changes after using it a bit.

That legit!!!!
I need to get around to making one for myself too. I have metal around laying around,

Oh man. I thought this was an air duct cover. Upon closer review, I like it!

Super easy to make especially if you have a CNC mill. :)
But could definitely be done with basic tools. You can buy a piece of aluminum on eBay if you need materials.

I use 1/4 amsteel ropes instead of the strap on my primal steps just splice loop one side drops weight a lot and I seem to get it tighter easier than with the straps. I like your base I'd need some grip cuts on outside edges or might be slippy on the boots when damp. I have some 3/8 plate think that's thick enough for platform?

I use 1/4 amsteel ropes instead of the strap on my primal steps just splice loop one side drops weight a lot and I seem to get it tighter easier than with the straps. I like your base I'd need some grip cuts on outside edges or might be slippy on the boots when damp. I have some 3/8 plate think that's thick enough for platform?
It does have cuts on the outside on the left and right, version II will have them front to back too.
3/8” should be plenty strong, most of the force is on the legs that stick into the step, mine are 1/2” x 1 1/2”

3/8” should be plenty strong, most of the force is on the legs that stick into the step, mine are 1/2” x 1 1/2”
[/QUOTE]

U wouldn't happen to be willing to make me a couple sets of legs if u have materials on hand? I have enough materials to make 2 platforms but nothing thick enough for legs. I'm going to try a local metal place for scraps Monday otherwise they have minimum orders and I dont really need that much other stuff atm. Did u use standard screws to attach top or go high stress hardware. Also could u post pictures of your legs. Should be fairly simple but if I can get some 1/2" I'd rather not waste materials with trial and error if you've already got design that works.

I saw a utube video where someone put ears on outside of legs on perch to further limit any side to side movement by being fit outside the step on both sides. Bolt piece of alum to sides of legs and machine to match angle of step.

What's yours weigh?

My platform weighs in right at a pound. The legs are attached with 5/16 18 cap screws which have somewhere around 5,000 pound shear strength
As for material I don’t really have much on hand but whenever I need small amounts like this eBay always gets checked

The decreased depth of the platform compared to the wooden ones should help prevent pullaway. Is it attached to the Primal step?
Handling two distinct pieces for a step was starting to drive me crazy after about 5 minutes with my wooden platform so I attached an aluminum piece to a Primal step with bolts. Now, I have a one piece step.

Initially I planned to attach it to the step but I decided it wasn’t necessary, it fits very tightly and the stay together well. I do plan on fastening them in the future.

Back