• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My simple expandable frame pack.

TFreeman

I hunted from a LW assault for years, that doubled as my frame pack, had everything bungeed to it and it was solid, didn't make a sound and worked pretty well for me.

Now that I'm incorporating the saddle in to my hunting, the back packs I had were lacking, especially when it came to carrying my sticks. I HATE having stuff wobbling around on my back.

So I decided to start a build after seeing some picks of the MR pop ups and how they expanded out for loads.

I decided to order the molle Plastic frame, straps and waist belt for $30 plus shipping on eBay. That was going to be the base of my pack, I wanted to run two of my mini helium sticks on each side, bottom up to keep the snagging to a minimum. And I wanted to have bag/load space in between.

To achieve the bag goal I went over to my local academy sports and bought the $10 camp back pack they carry, saving the time and effort of making about the same thing. Im expecting that to be pretty light duty, it has a larger main area, small front pocket with some organizer areas and a mesh drink pocket.

The expandable load out area is a piece of cordura nylon with the bag sewed to it.

I need to add a couple more cynch straps and swap the g hooks to some without the weave lock for speed of adjustment. It is a work in progress still at this point.

EDIT: updates made in post #16

6d60f8f0bab76e293e42a41fece5134e.jpg
3c770dc261b6cc43ff5633fcccc33ad5.jpg
8004a240b9c142725eca59e363639855.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That is awesome. Ive been following the MR pop up 18 but cannot justify the price. This is something I might be able to do! A+ my friend.

Last edited:
That is awesome. Ive been following the MR pop up 18 but cannot justify the price. This is something I might be able to do! A+ my friend.
Thanks for the compliments fellas.

I guess I lose the additional height of the pop up frame, but the molle frame is supposed to be fine for near 150#. That will be more then enough to carry anything I'll mess with on a hunt. I don't quarter my deer in the field but I imagine this will.make it an option

I'm liking your project. I've been doing some thinking since the end of our season about something very similar. Almost bought one of the molle pack frames a couple weeks ago but I'm on the fence about trying a DIY type frame with some pvc first. I'm looking to be able to pack in extra cold weather clothes and the ability to pack out quartered game along with transport of LW/XOP hand climber platform. Keep us posted on any further developments.

I'm liking your project. I've been doing some thinking since the end of our season about something very similar. Almost bought one of the molle pack frames a couple weeks ago but I'm on the fence about trying a DIY type frame with some pvc first. I'm looking to be able to pack in extra cold weather clothes and the ability to pack out quartered game along with transport of LW/XOP hand climber platform. Keep us posted on any further developments.
I have never put hands on one of those climbers, so I can't exactly speak for the size of it. I assume you use it to climb and don't need sticks. If I was in that spot, I'd consider the same basic set up but add a sleeve to hold the hand climber. So molle frame pack, layer of cordura, platform and then the "expansion area"

That make you undo your pack at the base of the tree though idk how you feel about that.

My little platform fits in the manufactured backpack, idk how I'm going to run it yet.

The frame is nice though, it's so easy to lash in straps or bungees, tons of options.

If I recall it was right about 4 lbs for the frame, straps and belt. It was a comfortable 4 lbs though

Great idea have a frame laying around trying figure out what to do with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both of these look like what I have been trying to figure out for hauling a hand climber. You could just put the platform in the load shelf.
Following for sure.

Both of these look like what I have been trying to figure out for hauling a hand climber. You could just put the platform in the load shelf.
Following for sure.
I actually made a couple tweaks to the pack yesterday. I'll get some pictures and update shortly

So like I mentioned after rods post above I notched out the load carrying area to better fit my sticks and platform in the center of the pack, and added some buckles for the pairs of sticks.
f61eac2e01626049ce3489557cefa6ea.jpg

I will then be sitting the platform between them, I've been bungeeing my knee cushion to the platform since I started all this, that sits between the sticks and platform so there's no metal on metal.

ed01dddfb4d56039326e6d14c98a43fc.jpg

Packed up with nothing in the back pack.

0e5cbbabe07ae208121d675e67a1e374.jpg

And for sh!ts and giggles. I added a super cheapo sleeping bag in there to see how much it expands. Along with the sticks, platform, knee cushion, and the empty back pack.
05b6770ad30eaa59087afb830441f848.jpg

Also made a small pouch for my snips on the shoulder strap

6c936b4cec19d120f4c179dae9d2eec3.jpg

Nice job. What did you use for the load area? I see it was a piece of nylon but where did you get it?

Nice job. What did you use for the load area? I see it was a piece of nylon but where did you get it?
It's bulk cordura nylon. 500d. Can be purchased on eBay, camo fabric Depot or something like that online.

I already had it from making some seat covers.

I took a large piece, folded it over and sewed around all sides

Back