• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My son got his first Deer!

MattMan81

SH Member
Skipped out of work this afternoon again. Took my son this time. We went and sat in the double ladder stand I have. Haven't hunted it much, and never killed a deer out of it. Well, tonight we were sitting out there. After reading @hokiehunter373 post about letting the kids be kid, I just went with it. He is 8 and can't sit still. So he moved the whole time, eat all the snacks, and talked the whole time. Plus rattled the antlers, hit the grunt call, and doe bleat a hand full of times. It was about the experience again. Around 6 we hear rumble coming down the road. I thought maybe it was the county. But then I saw the green combine. Interesting... They are picking the corn across the road. This can be good. So we watch for a while as the combine makes some passes. After a while I see a button buck making his way out of there right towards us. I ask him if he wants to shot it. He says yeah. So he comes in just a touch over 20 yards. Gets into the opening, and my son sent another one of the those crossbow bolts thru the deer. Slightly quartering away. I should have told him to aim back a little. But it still did the job. Deer ran off, went about 50 yards and looked like it went down. I reload, wait to see if momma might be coming thru as well. After 15 minutes or so with out seeing anything else go running out we get down. I let my son do his first tracking job. Lots of blood on the ground. He follows it and we find his deer. I let him try to drag it some. But it was pretty tuff. But we got it out, had a biology lesson and tagged it. He's pretty excited, I'm excited. Sorry team 8 I'm busy letting my kids kill deer! It's been almost more fun. Also cutting it up my self. So first there as well. I quartered and put on ice when we got home. So first all around. Screenshot_20231024-224127-526.pngScreenshot_20231024-224109-918.png

What a great memory making moment for you both... he will never forget that trip. Sometimes those hunts may seem like sacrifices on your part but believe me they amazing blessings!!
Enjoy each one of them because sooner than you want he will be dragging his own deer and setting in his own stand.

Back