• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mystery Ranch Fire Bags - An Ideal Lumbar Pack? Just me?

4090Sharps

SH Member
Has anyone else looked at the MR wildland firefighting bags as a hunting pack? Just me?

A couple of years ago I was in MT hiking and a hotshot crew blew past me on the trail. Each of them had a MR Hotshot on their backs, and it was around the time the Pop Up 18 was discontinued. At the time I thought about building a pack inspired by the Hotshot to put on a Pop Up frame, maybe even a couple to sell if the idea turned out alright, but life got busy and I didn't every follow through. But for the color, reflective material, and velcro, the Hotshot like it had great potential as a hunting pack, especially on a Pop Up frame.

Today I stumbled across the Big Ernie, and it looks even better than the Hotshot. It's a ~24L lumbar pack in coyote brown, with zippered side pockets where the Hotshot lacked them. It still has velcro compartment for a fire shelter, but that could be modified or used as a compartment for emergency items or left unused.

Even in its stock form, this seems like a better solution for anyone considering a discontinued Kifaru Hellcat or Scout for a hunting bag. Thought I'd throw the idea out in case it might interest anyone else, or if anyone else has tried these packs.

If anyone wants to collaborate and try to put one of these on an existing frame (Kifaru, MR Guide Lite, MR Pop Up, etc) lemme know. I'd be interested in getting my hands on one of these, and I think it would be a cool project to help someone out with (not advertising any services here, this wouldn't be a paid thing).

1674355618875.png

Gonna continue thinking out loud here…. Properly set up, that fire shelter compartment might be great to carry your saddle or rope in.

Gonna continue thinking out loud here…. Properly set up, that fire shelter compartment might be great to carry your saddle or rope in.
Looks like a good spot to store your rappel rope. Just reach back and pull out what you need for a tether.
Overall the pack looks pretty bulky

Last edited:
I want to go down this rabbit hole a LOT with you but just cant. I like the popup I have and don't see how this would be a major improvement

At what point does it stop being a lumbar pack and start being a backpack? Does the top compartment detach from the lumbar pack?

At what point does it stop being a lumbar pack and start being a backpack? Does the top compartment detach from the lumbar pack?

I suppose when the pack extends from iliac crest to top of shoulders. No indication the top compartment detaches.

Back