• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mystery Ranch Pack Users...

kyler1945

SH Member
One of my beefs is the noise of the MR Popup I bought. It's a small annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless. I'm working on sewing up a different pack to go on the frame. I reached out to MR about getting spare buckles that mate up with the ones on their pack. Let's just say the results of that conversation were less than ideal.

I took it upon myself to hunt down a company with spare buckles. This might sound simple on the surface, but trust me I'm about 10 hours of detective work deep. I'm 90% sure I have in my hand what will be a spare buckle set that mates up to the buckles on the PopUp, and potentially others.

I have a quick phone call in the morning with the vendor to confirm a couple details. Once that happens, I'm ordering A couple packs.

If anyone is interested in spare buckles, or making your own pack, or anything of that nature, shoot me a PM. I'll get them to you at whatever cost it is to me. Likely going to be about 3.00 a set.

I know the strength of these is higher than many cheaper side release buckles. So I know why MR chose them. But they sure didn't do themselves any favors not buying a few thousand extra and offering spare parts kits. Having said that - even if you're not a Mystery Ranch guy, and just want some stronger 1" side release buckles, feel free to reach out.

3f2cf19645a2b412f4070344f6083e65.jpg
f1c03b485ebfa198bf28df83092146d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides the noise how you like the pack? Really looking hard at one of these for next season. If you don’t mind what you packing and which size did you choose?

Not sure about the hunting packs, but I use these packs religiously for my job. These packs go to the ends of the earth and back with me and it never seems to phase them. When I buy my “forever hunting bag” I will seriously consider buying one of their packs.

Besides the noise how you like the pack? Really looking hard at one of these for next season. If you don’t mind what you packing and which size did you choose?

Hands down best and most versatile pack I've ever owned. As it should be they are expensive as hell.

The noise isn't bad at all for almost all of my hunting. I don't particularly care for hunting with no wind anyway, but sometimes it happens - this is when it concerns me. Cold dry still days. And some of the thickets I hunt it's tough to go through without the wooshing sliding noise.

I use it for my minimal saddle setup. Kestrel, ropes, either 7 stepps or bolts/platform, camera, arm, base, various typical hunting accessories. Typical weight for me is 25-30lbs tops. But average walk for me this year is mile plus. some between 2-3. Also, I've packed out a few deer deboned with it - which is the whole point of buying.

I hope to do some western hunts too, and it should serve nicely. Also, it's jamup for general travel.

If you can stomach the price tag, its an awesome pack. I had about 7-8 packs floating around until I bought this. I now have a fleece pack, this one, and my hybrid.

The fleece pack will probably get sold too if the "quiet pack" i'm building for the MR frame works out as well as I think it will.

You using the 28 I’m assuming with the camera gear and all? I just bought my first saddle but been eyeballing this pack even before the purchase just for its versatility. Like you said I want to be able to eliminate some stuff without losing out. As I’m new gonna play with my LW sticks and Klemz platform for now but things might change b4 next year. I also want to get a set of spikes to play with. I too have some long walks 1-2 miles depending and the ability to pack out a deer will save a bunch of time and effort for the future. I’m torn between the 18-28 tho. B4 the saddle I could carry most my stuff in fanny and be good. This isn’t including any extra layers just bunks rangefinder grunts knve etc. I just take necessities. With the 18 I feel I could pack sticks and platform between pack and also lash extra layers on top if needed...but then you have the 28. What say you?

You using the 28 I’m assuming with the camera gear and all? I just bought my first saddle but been eyeballing this pack even before the purchase just for its versatility. Like you said I want to be able to eliminate some stuff without losing out. As I’m new gonna play with my LW sticks and Klemz platform for now but things might change b4 next year. I also want to get a set of spikes to play with. I too have some long walks 1-2 miles depending and the ability to pack out a deer will save a bunch of time and effort for the future. I’m torn between the 18-28 tho. B4 the saddle I could carry most my stuff in fanny and be good. This isn’t including any extra layers just bunks rangefinder grunts knve etc. I just take necessities. With the 18 I feel I could pack sticks and platform between pack and also lash extra layers on top if needed...but then you have the 28. What say you?

I do everything you're talking about, except sticks. They'd fit fine in load shelf or strapped to front. I'm sure the 18 would be fine without camera gear, but it cinches down plenty small when empty - the profile in the tree doesn't really bother me. I'd say the larger one, but I guess rolling up layers and setting them on top the smaller pack would be nice. I go the opposite and roll them underneath or across the back with packtacks/bungee system.

Thanks for input. It’s ability to cinch so tight makes me wanna go 28 just cause lol. I hate options makes these decisions that much harder. Don’t get me started on alternative platform and climbing options ....:eek:

Hands down best and most versatile pack I've ever owned. As it should be they are expensive as hell.

The noise isn't bad at all for almost all of my hunting. I don't particularly care for hunting with no wind anyway, but sometimes it happens - this is when it concerns me. Cold dry still days. And some of the thickets I hunt it's tough to go through without the wooshing sliding noise.

I use it for my minimal saddle setup. Kestrel, ropes, either 7 stepps or bolts/platform, camera, arm, base, various typical hunting accessories. Typical weight for me is 25-30lbs tops. But average walk for me this year is mile plus. some between 2-3. Also, I've packed out a few deer deboned with it - which is the whole point of buying.

I hope to do some western hunts too, and it should serve nicely. Also, it's jamup for general travel.

If you can stomach the price tag, its an awesome pack. I had about 7-8 packs floating around until I bought this. I now have a fleece pack, this one, and my hybrid.

The fleece pack will probably get sold too if the "quiet pack" i'm building for the MR frame works out as well as I think it will.

Really like my 28, have at times wondered if I could get away with an 18. Good luck on the quiet pack build.....dibs on the fleece pack!!

I’d be in for a couple sets of the buckles. Shoot me a PM with details.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking forward to seeing what you put together. I have been using a badlands pursuit for years. I pack my deer out and I wanted something a little bigger with meat haulin capability’s. Making multiple trips with construction bags sucks. I bought the pop up 18. Awesome pack but was too small to fit all my gear. Camera arm etc. I just bought the horn hunter main beam and although it fits my gear when you add meat to the front of the pack it just puts the weight too far back. Plus the zippers are crazy loud. They jingle like bells. Horrible. It’s going back. The perfect pack for me would be the pop up frame with a quiet bag that has some large and small organization pockets. I’d also like at least one strap across the front of the pack. I usually carry my stand in one hand then bow in the other then strap outter layers to each side of my pursuit then strap sticks to center of the pursuit. Just to give you an idea of how I’m using my current pack. Ive come to realize to have exactly what I want I may have to make my own. I am very interested in seeing what you put together.

Looking forward to seeing what you put together. I have been using a badlands pursuit for years. I pack my deer out and I wanted something a little bigger with meat haulin capability’s. Making multiple trips with construction bags sucks. I bought the pop up 18. Awesome pack but was too small to fit all my gear. Camera arm etc. I just bought the horn hunter main beam and although it fits my gear when you add meat to the front of the pack it just puts the weight too far back. Plus the zippers are crazy loud. They jingle like bells. Horrible. It’s going back. The perfect pack for me would be the pop up frame with a quiet bag that has some large and small organization pockets. I’d also like at least one strap across the front of the pack. I usually carry my stand in one hand then bow in the other then strap outter layers to each side of my pursuit then strap sticks to center of the pursuit. Just to give you an idea of how I’m using my current pack. Ive come to realize to have exactly what I want I may have to make my own. I am very interested in seeing what you put together.
Did you guys ever figure out a system. I just got the 28 pop up and packs seems loud to the touch

Did you guys ever figure out a system. I just got the 28 pop up and packs seems loud to the touch

Mine is quiet enough now that I don't worry about it. It took a few packouts, a couple hundred miles in the rain, and a couple dozen trips through briars, and getting dial soap baths.

Mine is quiet enough now that I don't worry about it. It took a few packouts, a couple hundred miles in the rain, and a couple dozen trips through briars, and getting dial soap baths.
I’ll second this. It does quiet down after some substantial use. For my setup, the 28 is the perfect pack.

Back