• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need a new tether.

Slickiron

Well after 12 seasons this one my 13th my tether strap finally popped a couple stitches while i was hanging in it , felt like i was going down lol. So i hooked up my linesman and rehitched it and hooked back up ; as i was putting my linesman away i looked over and the old swamp donkey doe ( huge square body and an swinging neck fat) ive been after was standing out of range in the shooting lane that would have been a slam dunk 17yrd shot if she continued down it toward me looking right at me. I then held still hoping she had just got there and missed me rehooking up but she blew. She skirted me to get downwind and then she blew again couple times alerting the other 3 shes always with ( does with fawns) which im not targeting ; while she skirted in the thick brush 45 yrds all around me. the other 3 froze still for about an hour and a half and then followed her very cautiously into the field. Needless to say i was very disappointed ; i had looked forward to that mornin cause the rain had stopped and the temp dropped so i hunted my honey hole. Only problem was i wasnt used to such an big tree , its one of the biggest ive ever hunted and had to do some last min modifications to climb it. Afterwards i pulled my steps and figured id find another tree in thier travel corridor since the one that busted me was my targeted big fat deer to punch my 1 and only tag.. I guess i can see an rope tether in my very near future but am unfamiliar with what yall use so ill be figuring that out..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-09-24-21-36-25.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-24-21-36-25.png
    980.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Sorry about getting busted.
Climbing rope with a carabiner and either a friction hitch or mechanical device like a ropeman 1 or Kong Duck are popular.
8mm Sterling Oplux rope with 5.5 mm Beal Jammy tied in your favorite friction hitch is a good choice.
Have you seen Nutterbuster’s webbing tether? It’s pretty slick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well after 12 seasons this one my 13th my tether strap finally popped a couple stitches while i was hanging in it , felt like i was going down lol. So i hooked up my linesman and rehitched it and hooked back up ; as i was putting my linesman away i looked over and the old swamp donkey doe ( huge square body and an swinging neck fat) ive been after was standing out of range in the shooting lane that would have been a slam dunk 17yrd shot if she continued down it toward me looking right at me. I then held still hoping she had just got there and missed me rehooking up but she blew. She skirted me to get downwind and then she blew again couple times alerting the other 3 shes always with ( does with fawns) which im not targeting ; while she skirted in the thick brush 45 yrds all around me. the other 3 froze still for about an hour and a half and then followed her very cautiously into the field. Needless to say i was very disappointed ; i had looked forward to that mornin cause the rain had stopped and the temp dropped so i hunted my honey hole. Only problem was i wasnt used to such an big tree , its one of the biggest ive ever hunted and had to do some last min modifications to climb it. Afterwards i pulled my steps and figured id find another tree in thier travel corridor since the one that busted me was my targeted big fat deer to punch my 1 and only tag.. I guess i can see an rope tether in my very near future but am unfamiliar with what yall use so ill be figuring that out..
That stiching is for impact reduction in a fall. None of the rope tethers come with that. You can remove all of that stiching and keep using that tether, that is what I did many years ago with my trophy line. That stiching just got in my way right where I usually tried off in the tree. The way I saw it is I'll never fall in my tether because I never have slack on it until my lineman belt is on. But you might want to replace it due to and and reduced bulk of some of the newer ropes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That stiching is for impact reduction in a fall. None of the rope tethers come with that. You can remove all of that stiching and keep using that tether, that is what I did many years ago with my trophy line. That stiching just got in my way right where I usually tried off in the tree. The way I saw it is I'll never fall in my tether because I never have slack on it until my lineman belt is on. But you might want to replace it due to and and reduced bulk of some of the newer ropes.

Theres a weak spot right down the center of the strap that i can see daylight through it. I figured i could still use it but also was thinking it would prolly be quicker setting up with a rope tether as well as dropping some weight since its so dang heavy.

Theres a weak spot right down the center of the strap that i can see daylight through it. I figured i could still use it but also was thinking it would prolly be quicker setting up with a rope tether as well as dropping some weight since its so dang heavy.
Search 8mm oplux. I don't have it myself but sounds like the go to minimalist option right now. Eastern woods outdoors and wild edge sells it.

Back