• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need advice

I'm hunting public land that is long and thin. There is a lake to one side and homes on the other. I have found the bedding and food areas and have been hunting the wind and the edges of the in between area. Every time I go there I see deer. I'm just never in the right spot to let an arrow fly.
I never hunt the same tree twice and if I do hunt the same corridor I'm on the caddy corner of last time. My question is should I move in on the bedding and food about 75 yards or hold tight because next week is pre rut?

rut could change the patteren you have found i would play the wind a slip in ole boys place

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm hunting public land that is long and thin. There is a lake to one side and homes on the other. I have found the bedding and food areas and have been hunting the wind and the edges of the in between area. Every time I go there I see deer. I'm just never in the right spot to let an arrow fly.
I never hunt the same tree twice and if I do hunt the same corridor I'm on the caddy corner of last time. My question is should I move in on the bedding and food about 75 yards or hold tight because next week is pre rut?

One good hunt is better than 5 hunts in areas that aren't quite right. Wait for the right wind and move in to where you think they will be. Do it sooner than later, the time to hunt is when you have fresh sign. Patterns change when the pre rut hits.

I'm going in this afternoon to hang my set up for tomorrow afternoon. We have a rain storm heading in. I think I'm going to hunt the small cove area tomorrow morning. I always see sign there and I can access it easily and unseen from the shore line. I feel like I'm doing everything right but getting frustrated teaching myself to hunt.

I'm going in this afternoon to hang my set up for tomorrow afternoon. We have a rain storm heading in. I think I'm going to hunt the small cove area tomorrow morning. I always see sign there and I can access it easily and unseen from the shore line. I feel like I'm doing everything right but getting frustrated teaching myself to hunt.

Don't get frustrated! It could be worse, you could be hauling a ladder stand through the woods :) Learning how to hunt and scouting an area pays dividends in the years to come.

Don't get frustrated! It could be worse, you could be hauling a ladder stand through the woods :) Learning how to hunt and scouting an area pays dividends in the years to come.
This is why I love this site. I get to bounce my thoughts off of you more experienced guys. I just wish I had a mentor locally to kinda show what I found and help me plan a strategy with boots on the ground.
The guys that started me out were the beer in the stand kind. Sit here all season and wait something will come by. We are no longer hunting together. Since then I've seen well over 50 deer in 2 years over 7 pieces of public lands. Took a wall hanger last year (gun).

This is why I love this site. I get to bounce my thoughts off of you more experienced guys. I just wish I had a mentor locally to kinda show what I found and help me plan a strategy with boots on the ground.
The guys that started me out were the beer in the stand kind. Sit here all season and wait something will come by. We are no longer hunting together. Since then I've seen well over 50 deer in 2 years over 7 pieces of public lands. Took a wall hanger last year (gun).
where are you located

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Haha, you're killing it, literally! My first year deer sightings could be counted on two hands. Just stay the course! If you haven't watched all of the Dan Infalt/John Eberhart videos you need to.

I had a conversation with a guy this year, he thinks it's a good thing that I didn't have a mentor. I don't have to unlearn how most people hunt, you're probably in the same boat.

Thanks for the compliment I appreciate it. I watch D&DHtv, grow them big, the two guys you mentioned, and anyone who is endorsed by a big company. I weed out the crap the same way I weeded out bad sources in college. I watch and rewatch these videos all year, read about deer patterns and strategies on how to take my scent out of the equation.

If you are just getting started deer hunting, I would encourage you to read and watch everything you can find from Warren Wommack, WHW on here. Learn and use that style of hunting to accelerate your learning curve and shoot deer. Learn to just kill deer consistently and then if you want to add challenges like hunting a particular buck, then go for it. We all had to learn to hunt and learn to kill. Learning to kill effectively and consistently requires shooting stuff. Sounds like you have been hunting the area softly and there is nothing wrong with that at all as the observation lets you pair sightings with the sign you find as you move in. I still do that some when hunting around known bedding. Hot food sources, I will move in right on top of it immediately. The only way you will be doing it wrong is to just not go.

If you figure out how to eliminate the frustrations from deer hunting, that book will pay for retirement.

@BTaylor is right on with his advise. The only thing I would add for the up coming rut is to slip in early to the bedding and be prepared for the action later in the morning. Depending on how close it is to the food source you may not see much till 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning so don't get discouraged and get down too soon. Bucks know where the doe bedding areas are just like you and often pick the late morning hours to cruse through bumping does out and scent checking. The draw back to this approach is you will get busted eventually if it is a popular bedding area. Because that many eyes and noses hanging out for a long period of time can be hard to fool. But can be some of the most spectacular hunts of the year. This approach applies to food sources for evening hunts as well. Once you have observed where they are feeding and their most likely approach move in for the kill and get it done. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

The best time to kill a big buck is when you can! If you no where they are slide in and don't be afraid to get aggressive. I no a lot of guys that always play it safe and watch a lot of big deer year after year and never get a shot same story never in the right place. get in there be confident and play the conditions someone on here said it perfect one good hunt is better than 10 not so good. I have several spots I only hunt once or twice a year because when i do i'm going in after a big one and that means getting close to that bed. This is why we saddle hunt

Ok I just got back from setting up 2 different stand locations. 1 if the wind blows like it is supposed to will blow my stink over into a well traveled area by humans. The other will blow my scent onto.the lake. They are both smack dab in the middle of the corridor of the bedding area. Think how a knight moves in chess I moved in 50 yards forward and 75 yards left and right of where I normally would set up. One has a fresh scrape 30 yards away which I peed in before I left. Lets see if the weather moving in and new placement plays out.

Thanks for the compliment I appreciate it. I watch D&DHtv, grow them big, the two guys you mentioned, and anyone who is endorsed by a big company. I weed out the crap the same way I weeded out bad sources in college. I watch and rewatch these videos all year, read about deer patterns and strategies on how to take my scent out of the equation.

Back