• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need Correct Machine Screws

CrackbottomLouis

Ok. I'm not real happy with the machine screws I used to attach my harken 150 to my stick and cannot seem to find the correct ones anywhere. And I mean anywhere. I've checked everyone.

Anybody know where to find m5 60mm with 50mm unthreaded with the corresponding locknuts? Preferably in grade 5 or 8 but thinking that's a unicorn so just the first part will do.

I appreciate the help if you can point me in the right direction!

When I need a bolt with a long shank I'll usually have to end up buying one way to long with the correct shank length then cut the thread end to correct length and may have to run it throu a die to cut new threads on the shank

I drilled holes in the back of my stick large enough to accomodate a deep well socket and bolted my cam cleat to the face of the stick with a much shorter fully threaded bolt. No issues thus far. I thought the Harken 150 used M4s but I guess not if you are using M5s. Obviously if it will take M5s it will take M4s.

I drilled holes in the back of my stick large enough to accomodate a deep well socket and bolted my cam cleat to the face of the stick with a much shorter fully threaded bolt. No issues thus far. I thought the Harken 150 used M4s but I guess not if you are using M5s. Obviously if it will take M5s it will take M4s.

It does take the m5's. Was trying not to alter the stick as much as possible. I haven't had a problem so far but, then again, no one does until they fall and its tickling the back of my brain. I've checked everywhere. Mcmasters, etc. Even a local shop called threads of the south who has everything I can't find elsewhere. I guess I can have them made but that's pretty pricey for 2 machine screws.

When I need a bolt with a long shank I'll usually have to end up buying one way to long with the correct shank length then cut the thread end to correct length and may have to run it throu a die to cut new threads on the shank

I dont have the tools to rethread. Couldn't find m5 in length. 60mm was rare enough. Easy to find short though. Maybe I'm missing the boat and there is an easy answer. Not really my wheelhouse. For the life of me cant find what I need though. If I could find them longer I'm sure I could ask around for a friend to thread it for me though.

I dont have the tools to rethread. Couldn't find m5 in length. 60mm was rare enough. Easy to find short though. Maybe I'm missing the boat and there is an easy answer. Not really my wheelhouse. For the life of me cant find what I need though. If I could find them longer I'm sure I could ask around for a friend to thread it for me though.

When I get out to my shop tomorrow I’ll see if I have a die for an m5 if I do I’ll mail it to u and u can send it back when done adding threads to a longer bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I get out to my shop tomorrow I’ll see if I have a die for an m5 if I do I’ll mail it to u and u can send it back when done adding threads to a longer bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Thanks very much. Very nice offer but I talked with a friend today in my search and he has the dies. Should be able to make something work.

Why do you need the unthreaded portion? Won't it work all the same with full threads? If so, then McMaster has 20 options for M5x60 screws including grade 12.9 which is approx same as SAE grade 8.

Why do you need the unthreaded portion? Won't it work all the same with full threads? If so, then McMaster has 20 options for M5x60 screws including grade 12.9 which is approx same as SAE grade 8.

I was looking for the portion that goes through the stick being unthreaded because the threading weakens the crew. Figured if it was solid it would be stronger. Maybe overkill but I've never run into a problem with something over engineered but have run into problems cutting corners. I might be being just a tad anal but its tickling my brain :)

Back