• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need help choosing a bow string.

Andrew

First I want to preface this post with the fact that I am brand new to traditional archery and know very little. I have a SWA Spyder 62" with #40 limbs on the way and I'm excited to start learning. One of the things I have read during my research is that I would probably benefit from upgrading to a better string right out of the gate. That sounded simple enough, until I started reading about all the different options for a string. Needless to say I quickly became overwhelmed and had a bunch of questions, which leads me here. Hope you guys can shed some light.

1. String length. What length string to I need? The bow is 62 AMO but not sure what string length a bow of that size would need. I'm assuming shorter? I've read 4" shorter than AMO, which would be 58". Is that a universal rule?

2. Material. I keep seeing that a "fast flight" string material will be best because it will stretch less overtime. What material is "fast flight", D97 and is that what you'd recommend?

3.Lastly is strand count. What factors are considered when deciding on stand count? Is it just limb poundage being used?

On your string length...get your bow to the correct brace height then take the string off and measure the total length. Any good string maker can make a Flemish string real close or endless loop almost exact.

Any fast flight material is superior to non fast flight. D97 is the old stand by and used by many. I don’t have any myself but if I did I would use it.

My strand count is determined by my arrows and what nocks I am running. 12-14 strands is a good range.

Fast flight is higher performing, more so than stretch resistance. Yeah, it will stretch less over time than b50, but its easy to twist any flemish string back to the desired length. After a hundred shots or so, they all seem to be mostly done stretching.
The fact that fast flight has less stretch is more beneficial during the actual shot. Less stretch during the propulsion equals faster arrows because less of the bows energy is absorbed by the string...energy is transferred to the arrow.
But some bow limbs are not fast flight friendly. You can damage limb tips on older bows.
Fast flight can also produce a little more hand shock and be slightly noisier.
Nock fit is important but I've recently discovered that the rule of thumb for how tight nocks are on the string is not dependable. I've always opened up the nock so they just barely click onto the string. But my new Ashby build arrows shoot best with a very tight nock.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Back