• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need help on DIY platform

Oklahoma33

I set this up thinking it would work. It didn’t. Any suggestions?

The top batwing doesn’t stay seated.

e91c19875efbf653bd9c38d5048916ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Center of gravity too low, I'd push the platform up on the column, and drop top batwing down around your button.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

From what I have gathered on here. The platform needs to be in between the two batwings. I may be wrong.

By won't stay seated, do you mean it's pulling away from the tree? I'm not sure you can make it work with the hang style method that it looks like it's set up to do. I recommend moving the platform up over the bottom standoff and us a cam method.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

By won't stay seated, do you mean it's pulling away from the tree? I'm not sure you can make it work with the hang style method that it looks like it's set up to do. I recommend moving the platform up over the bottom standoff and us a cam method.

Not sure I fully understand this

Seats gotta Be between the batwings usually little above center is what guys are doing. It’s big lever the way you got it right now.

Not sure I fully understand this

I assume your attaching a strap to the versa button and then pressing down like a climbing stick. Your platform mounted at the bottom is acting like a lever which is going to pull the top standoff away from the tree no matter how much you preload it. My platform is between the standoffs and my strap is attached to the platform itself. While folded up I take up the slack and open. Stap is level around the tree and the platform and when I open the platform, it compresses the whole thing to the tree. If done properly, the whole thing will stay firm to the tree. No pull away under load. Hope that makes sense.

I assume your attaching a strap to the versa button and then pressing down like a climbing stick. Your platform mounted at the bottom is acting like a lever which is going to pull the top standoff away from the tree no matter how much you preload it. My platform is between the standoffs and my strap is attached to the platform itself. While folded up I take up the slack and open. Stap is level around the tree and the platform and when I open the platform, it compresses the whole thing to the tree. If done properly, the whole thing will stay firm to the tree. No pull away under load. Hope that makes sense.

So you are basically able to load the platform like a typical hang on stand because you attach the strap to the platform itself?

So you are basically able to load the platform like a typical hang on stand because you attach the strap to the platform itself?

I've never attached a typical hang on with a cam over. The strap attached to the platform and doing a cam over will compress the whole thing into the tree. You need to move your platform in between the standoffs though. You can also keep the versa for an initial strap to hold it in place. It's the strap connected to the platform with the cam over though that will hold it tight to the tree.

Yes that would work but you will not be able to sideload it. I'm pretty sure about that.

I’m trying to follow here but I’m having trouble. Is this getting better?
77a30f9f50b596b5681e7aee263ad65a.jpg

Yes. Now you attach your strap to the platform and use the "cam over" method to tighten the strap. Dan-O has a strap just for this purpose. I used my platform this morning and it's almost identical to yours.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes. Now you attach your strap to the platform and use the "cam over" method to tighten the strap. Dan-O has a strap just for this purpose. I used my platform this morning and it's almost identical to yours.

I guess I’ve never heard of “cam over”

Do you have any pictures?

In one of the videos I’ve seen of the cam over, @g2outdoors talks about not connecting directly to the ears. The ears will break. You should instead connect to the platform. Let me see if I can find it.

(around the 4:20 mark)

He also has another video where he is using factory LW straps.

Move it to the center, attach your strap to the seat/platform frame itself, remove the Versa button. Place in tree with seat in up position about 3/4 of the way up, tighten strap, push seat down, it will lock on solid. Will look like this. It’ll just take a few times to get the feel for how tight of a cam you should put on it.
7f79d96d0d0b4325b4be1d69fcea2dc1.jpg

I see a lot of the LW v brackets and not the bat wings. Should I be using a v bracket instead of the bat wings?

I see a lot of the LW v brackets and not the bat wings. Should I be using a v bracket instead of the bat wings?

Don't use the LW v brackets on platform posts. They are not designed for that and they do break. Use the LW bat wing, XOP six-point bracket, or the other bracket available from a really cool store I'm familiar with.

Back