• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need help, shooting to the right!

flinginairos

Vendor Rep
So this is my first year using a Guidos Web. I absolutely LOVE this way of hunting and don't see myself ever using a traditional stand again. I have practiced a good bit with my set up and actually shot a pretty nice buck already this year from it. The ONLY problem I am having is a shot that would happen to be from 2-6 O clock to my right. I use a bridge set up on the web and have tried taking my bow over the bridge with an aggressive lean with the bridge and shooting to the right is extremely awkward! I know that shot is a lot of foot work too but I am having trouble getting it down. The other night while hunting, a buck was coming in and was going to end up on my right side so I simply moved my rope around the tree and was able to get into position that way, but it took too much time. Any tips on shooting to the right quickly without all the movement?

unfortunately there is no magic bean that I've found for that shot. I shot a deer at my 5 oclock position by contorting in the saddle and getting as close to backwards in the saddle as possible. But I've found walking around the tree counter-clockwise is the easiest way to make that shot. You're right - it's all about footwork and it just takes practice.

First, lets see a pic of your buck!

Probably the toughest shot out of a saddle. I think Boswell has mastered shooting over his bridge but I don't know too many that have. I prefer to either walk around the tree as discussed, or if that isn't an option, I will swing my left foot around and pivot off of my right foot so that my back is now to the tree. This can be a very awkward position but it can be done and I have shot a few deer this way. If you know the deer is coming that way you definitely want to get in position before they get there cause you do have to move to do it.

redsquirrel said:
First, lets see a pic of your buck!

Probably the toughest shot out of a saddle. I think Boswell has mastered shooting over his bridge but I don't know too many that have. I prefer to either walk around the tree as discussed, or if that isn't an option, I will swing my left foot around and pivot off of my right foot so that my back is now to the tree. This can be a very awkward position but it can be done and I have shot a few deer this way. If you know the deer is coming that way you definitely want to get in position before they get there cause you do have to move to do it.

The main problem I have with sliding my rope around the tree is standing up completely to do it. I think I may start putting a screw in step above my head but below the rope attachment to serve as a grab handle for standing and to keep the rope from sliding down the tree when I put slack in it. On the buck the other night I was able to pretty quickly position myself and was ready for a shot but if he would have been coming any faster there is no way I could have pulled it off. I guess I just need to practice and figure this all out. BTW, the buck wasn't a shooter but a nice six point. Here is the buck I killed and the video to go with it! (video link below pic)

1486840_10152759066781182_2303459127048450652_n.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nmSdlSmQUU

Nice buck dude! Big body!

On all of my permanent setups I put a tree spike above my head to keep my strap from sliding down like you said.

Why do you need to slide your rope around the tree to move?

redsquirrel said:
Nice buck dude! Big body!

On all of my permanent setups I put a tree spike above my head to keep my strap from sliding down like you said.

Why do you need to slide your rope around the tree to move?

Only reason to slide the rope around the tree would be to completely change the direction I am facing. On the buck I shot pictured above I actually drew back while facing 10 o clock and slowly pivoted around and shot him at 12 o clock. He had no clue I was there because I kept the tree between us the whole time. I really liked being able to do that!

Sent from space

If I am moving the rope around the tree to face another direction I will usually put the linemans belt on while I am doing it. It just makes it safer and more secure.

I've never had to stand completely up to move around the tree, or move my rope around the tree.

Like redsquirrel said - to shoot at 5 oclock: move your left foot over your right and basically turn backwards in the saddle. It's not always easy, but I've done it before. Or just lean away from the tree and use your knees, and free hand to walk around the tree. You shouldn't need to stand up to make that shot.

Boswell has some great videos on youtube about making different shots out of the saddle. If you haven't seen them, check them out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BoudreauxBoswell/videos

Back