• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need help with a Colorado Muzzloader setup

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
So I agreed to go on a Colorado muzzloader elk trip in 2023. I know it’s 3 yrs out...... but what I didn’t realize is no scope, no pyrodex pellets, .50 cal or greater & no jacketed slugs. Can use power belts but I never had much luck with them. Hmmm I don’t currently own anything that fits the bill. I’m a T/c guy & am leaning towards an impact or another omega. I’d like to get together this year or after season, so I can wait on a good deal. Has anyone been down this road?

make sure you weigh your powder with a grain scale, it'll be way more precise than by volume. Do the conversion! 100 grains by weight is more than by volume.

I haven't done it, just looked into it for the same reason as you, but I would go with a peep and front globe.

Love my CVA, just saying :)

Not for nothing, but if you decide to go the flinter route, check out the RMC Accusporter.

Green mountain barrel, removable breach plug, barrel is fast twist, so you can shoot conicals. My buddy has one and his is a shooter. I shot it and it is nice!

I am drooling for one for our PA flintlock season. Saving my pennies, but until then, going to use my Lyman trade rifle.

Good luck in your adventure. Sounds like fun!

When we head to Colorado muzzleloader hunting my dad and I both shoot Traditions Hawkens with 90-100 gr. of loose triple seven or pyrodex and a Thompson Center 350 gr. Maxi Hunter with a .50 cal bore button. In our experience, the bore button seems to create a better seal than with the maxi ball alone. You're not going to do any long range pursuits but they sure do put em down.

Try the power belt aero tip bullets. I have had great luck with them over the traditional power belts. Harder polymer tip and longer design for better long range accuracy. Had pass throughs on all deer shot with them versus the just entrance hole of the traditional power belts.

I switched to Blackhorn 209 powder a few years back in my CVA. I had to switch out the breach plug to one designed for it. Clean up is same as traditional for rifles no water like with Pyrodex and T7 . Dead on 100 yards with 100 grains of BHP. I use Scorpion PT Gold with Harvester Sabot. But the CVA Powerbelt may work just fine. You may need to adjust grains of powder to get it just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both a TC Impact and an older TC Thunderhawk (one of their first in-lines). I used to use a peep from TC on the Thunderhawk and like it a lot. My impact has a Leupold 2-7 on it. I think the fibre optic open sights that come with the impact would be fine. Have not shot much loose powder at all but work up a load with a measurer. TC also used to have optimal loads in their manuals for each one of their models with a given bullet weight. I have been using for years Hornady 240grain XTP in .45 cal with a green sabot to fit the .50 cal diameter bore. These things shoot great and rip through deer and mushroom beautifully. Would a sabot be considered a "jacketed slug?" If so then I would look at TC's manuals to see what loose powder loadings work with their maxiballs. They are very heavy and pack a whallop too.

No sabots, I’m still working it out. Gonna roll with BH209 & I think these fury 320gr w/fixed poly wad. Trying to decide if I’m im going to keep this Knight UL 50 cal or strip the scope off one of my Omegas & put a peep on it????? Not sure. Tempting b/c that UL would completely fund my other offseason gun build.......

I switched to Blackhorn 209 powder a few years back in my CVA. I had to switch out the breach plug to one designed for it. Clean up is same as traditional for rifles no water like with Pyrodex and T7 . Dead on 100 yards with 100 grains of BHP. I use Scorpion PT Gold with Harvester Sabot. But the CVA Powerbelt may work just fine. You may need to adjust grains of powder to get it just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just tried Blackhorn 209 in my CVA wolf. I did notice a long delay between the primer going off and the powder igniting.
I am assuming that is from not having the breach plug designed for it?

Can you use a smokeless powder muzzleloader?
If you do prepare to be Elmer Fudd.
outdoorhub-never-swap-powders-muzzleloader-explodes-like-grenade-takes-shooters-fingers-2014-12-16_17-25-07-774x600.jpg

I just tried Blackhorn 209 in my CVA wolf. I did notice a long delay between the primer going off and the powder igniting.
I am assuming that is from not having the breach plug designed for it?
Yeah cva needs a 209 specific breech plug & you have to clear the bp with a 1/8 drill bit by hand periodically......

I just know that a lot of guys here are mainly if not only archery hunters so I wanted to make sure people don't do something accidentally that can kill them.

I don't want to hear a story about one of our guys making a pipebomb and blowing his hand off.

No excuses 460 or 495gr bullets. Get the test kit and find best fit for your gun. Grab some lubed felt .50cal wads. Get a ghost ring sight to match your gun. Be prepared to mess with elevation on the sights to shoot a slow heavy bullet.

get it in on paper at 25 yards using 100gr of hogdons triple7 FFG powder.

then sight in at 75 yards - 3 shot groups cleaning the barrel between each group. Start with 100gr of powder. Back down in 5 or 10gr increments until your groups tighten up. You’ll know it when you find the speed your gun/bullet like. Should be able to shoot out to 125 if you have good eyesight and a steady hand. I wouldn’t shoot past 100 yards unless everything is perfect.

my gun likes 75gr powder and the 460gr bullet. 1400fps or so. I was able to shoot 3” groups at 100 yards off the bench.

Last edited:
There are a few legitimate smokeless powder muzzleloader.I have a 4570 CVA that’s been converted to be a muzzleloader,I had a savage 10ML that was great which is why I asked the question if he can use one there
I actually forgot about those tbh.
Don't they also convert the Rem 700 action to muzzleloaders? I remember looking at them before I got my CVA Wolf.

There are a few legitimate smokeless powder muzzleloader.I have a 4570 CVA that’s been converted to be a muzzleloader,I had a savage 10ML that was great which is why I asked the question if he can use one there
I have a Savage 10ML also. But I am using BH209. Inherited this when my father in-law passed away, it had never been fired. What smokeless load are you using?

Back