• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

NEED INPUT - product idea - The BYOT Ultralight

goody94

SH Member
Hey guys, I NEED YOUR 2 CENTS. I know many/most of us are gearheads and here is a chance to weigh in on a product I am brewing on.

I am a small business owner and we manufacture products from high density foam and coat it with a special blend of truck bed liner. We make a few different products, our main products are hunting blinds. The name of our company is Tusca Outdoors. Due to the nature of our process it yields a very insulated and lightweight product that is also very durable.

My idea is to build hard sided completely enclosed sleeping shelter that could be put on ANY trailer. Picture a teardrop camper without the trailer (look at the attached picture if you don’t know what I am talking about). This would be a BYOT (bring your own trailer) making it significant different than a typical overland trailer.

Initial dimensions I have in mind are 5x8 floor size with 48” walls. The weight would likely be 150-175 pounds. It would be ultra insulated and very durable due to our construction process. It would also be seamless because we would build the whole thing and then coat it inside and outside.

The problem I see it solving is that an overland trailer or teardrop are extremely expensive (typically 8k on the low end). I think we can build a base model (no glamorous features but a fully insulated lightweight sleeping shelter with a nice door/window/vent) for an MSRP around $2000-2500. I know that is still a lot of money but when I see what people are paying for tents that are completely uninsulated I believe this price range fits.

For the guys that go on hunts in hard to reach public lands they could bring this with them instead of needing to tent or stay in a hotel. This is how I plan to use it personally. I will also likely add Solar to it so I have power.

Additionally, with this camper being a (BYOT - bring your own trailer). The user has the option to Mount it to a small 5x8 trailer that many people already have OR they could put it on a 6x12 or 6x14 trailer and haul their ATV’s behind it.

With our material I estimate it will weigh between 150-175 pounds empty, so 2 grown men could set it in place and remove when they are done using it. Another benefit being that you now can use your trailer for the entire year and only mount the ultralight insulated shelter when it’s needed for camping/hunting.

I think that covers most of it. See the attached picture for an example of what I am envisioning MINUS the trailer. It would look similar to this.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Do you think this is viable or am I off my rocker? Does the price range sound too high or reasonable? What other thoughts do you have?

Thanks for your time!

PS .. my initial name that I am going with for now unless someone suggests something better is the B.Y.O.T. Ultralight

Attachments

• 91894888-AA31-480F-9D44-22140B995BB1.jpeg
    91894888-AA31-480F-9D44-22140B995BB1.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

This is similar, but seems heavier than you are proposing.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I dont dislike the trailer idea at all but I also think @CZMark is on point with a truck bed option. With your construction methods you would have the option to build it in few different configurations of detachable panels if you will that would allow a single person to install and would make it easier to store in a smaller footprint if someone didnt want it on the truck for an extended period. If built on a modular design and esp if including solar, you might look into radiant floor heat as well. I have no idea what the capabilities are there but I am sure someone knows how to rig it.

No not off your rocker at all. I could see a lot of uses for something like this at that price point for sure. If you could make it light enough to haul with an ebike even better.

Been thinking about this a bit(truck bed version) and if it was properly thought out, instead of a bed platform maybe close it in and make it full length multi-compartment cooler. Could be used for dry storage or for road trip food storage as well as meat storage for the trip home. Maybe make that an upgrade option.

Been thinking about this a bit(truck bed version) and if it was properly thought out, instead of a bed platform maybe close it in and make it full length multi-compartment cooler. Could be used for dry storage or for road trip food storage as well as meat storage for the trip home. Maybe make that an upgrade option.
I have had that suggestion before and have also considered making large coolers that could fit a whole deer inside.

I like the truck bed idea especially where you can use it with your tail gate down for extended area. Looks cool

A Truck bed unit that can be removed at the camp for use of the bed. That would be awesome.

Last edited:
Back