• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need opinions on saddle choice!

e1han

I’m officially going to buy a saddle. I’ve read a lot of the posts already on the different styles and brands, but as a new saddle hunter I thought a little input from the community might be of help. My plan was to buy the entire Tethrd kit, saddle through platform, simply for the ease of not having to buy my own materials or DIY anything. But I also want to be sure if I’m spending $500 it’s going to be worth the investment and I won’t want to change my gear out right away. I’m hunting in the southeast Michigan area, and I actually do have some experience in climbing (rock climbing), and knots. Michigan bow season starts October 1st and I’d like to have my product to me before that. If you think there’s another option out there that may be better I’m all ears.

I think you'll find there's no wrong answer. I personally own a JX3 hybrid. it has zero hip pinch because it's built on a solid frame. I also own a sit drag that I use along with a rock climbing harness. Mini advantages to both but I personally lean toward my JX3 hybrid, it is crazy comfortable and I can also pack game out on it. Good luck in your quest

There’s probably a saddle hunter near you look on the saddlehunter map and see if someone is willing to meet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m officially going to buy a saddle. I’ve read a lot of the posts already on the different styles and brands, but as a new saddle hunter I thought a little input from the community might be of help. My plan was to buy the entire Tethrd kit, saddle through platform, simply for the ease of not having to buy my own materials or DIY anything. But I also want to be sure if I’m spending $500 it’s going to be worth the investment and I won’t want to change my gear out right away. I’m hunting in the southeast Michigan area, and I actually do have some experience in climbing (rock climbing), and knots. Michigan bow season starts October 1st and I’d like to have my product to me before that. If you think there’s another option out there that may be better I’m all ears.
Soooo, the bad news first. You may not receive a saddle by the 1st. Aero was backed up 8 weeks, same with Tethered. CALL them and speak with a human to get FIRST HAND knowledge, don't post here asking about shipping times. That being said, you might score a saddle from the classifieds.
Having never used a saddle before, there is no guarantee you won't want to change something out right away, just the nature of the beast. Can't go wrong with buying a kit as they're put together by knowledgeable people and you can always sell the bits you don't need/want. You're gonna be in a tight place since you'll basically be getting your kit and hunting out of it right away. ImThere had good advice, hit up the map and find someone near you.
Also, do you have a climbing method you like? If not there's that to think about and there's a million ways to climb the proverbial tree.

There’s probably a saddle hunter near you look on the saddlehunter map and see if someone is willing to meet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read just 5 minutes worth of threads on here and you will realize that each of us like different saddles, platforms, and climbing methods. We don't even agree on simple things like pull up ropes or caribiners! Saddle hunting is a very personal preference in what you like, so my advice is to not buy a new package unless you meet with some guys on here and actually try out several options in person first. You may find that what the manufacturer suggests on size is completely wrong for you as well. Aerohunter, Tethrd, JX3, and soon Trophyline, all make great products, but not all of them appeal equally to everyone. You can easily build a cheap fleece saddle and use a rock climbing harness for safety (still one of the most comfortable options) and still saddle hunt this fall, even if you have not narrowed down a commercial choice. Don't rush into a package and regret it.

Edit - You can also try something used from the classifieds and test and trade multiple options without losing $. There is nothing wrong with many of the older models available there.

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

Last edited:
Back