• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

need self filming help

slonstdy

SH Member
I need some help from you guys that film your hunts.

I'm not sure how to word it so you understand what I'm asking so I'll blah blah blah till it makes sense...

I want to learn how to shoot video of my hunts and practice shots with the bow and would really like to know what equipment do I need to be able to watch the footage frame by frame? For example, I used a Tacticam to record shots with my bow but I am unable to actually SEE my arrow during flight. I would like to be able to see the arrow sailing thru the air frame by frame till it hits the target. Do I need a high speed camera or for that? Do I need special editing software?

I really want to be able to watch a replay of my arrow hitting a deer so I can determine how good of a shot it was and then plan for tracking/recovery accordingly. I've seen numerous youtube videos of guys watching their shot on their phone while still up in the tree. I used a GoPro to film a hunt last season and a deer at 30 yards looked like it was a mile away so that type of recording is useless to me. I know that action cameras are really only suited to B roll footage but I don't want to see my ugly mug, I want to see arrows sailing thru deer and their reaction before, during and after the impact.

I'm not looking for broadcast or movie quality latest and greatest techno wizardry geek stuff that'll cost me a mortgage, nor do I want to lug 20 lbs of camera gear with me on hunts, I just want something that I can film with and replay frame by frame with ease. Am I looking for a unicorn?

Lumenock, or something similiar for your arrow flight.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I think the problem that you’ll run into is that while gopros and tactacams do well for what they are, they’re set at a wide angle and film at a pretty low frame rate with not the greatest definition. I think that most of the guys who film well enough that they can tell impact do so with a dedicated video camera which can be very very expensive. I did see a productive time that allowed you to mount your phone to your bow and then hit record just before the shot. You might be able to set it up with practice to have the phone zoomed in so it’s easier viewing.

I'll tell you right now, sell the Tactacam. For one, the video stabilization sucks, no matter what you will not see flight AND they usually fail within two seasons. I have gone through two and so has a friend of mine... For the price, they are plain and simple not worth it if you want to relive your hunt. Sell it and put the money towards other cam equipment.

The GoPro is nice to have to film yourself during the shot for two reasons. You can pick apart what you may have done wrong to fix it OR you can relive your reaction from your success!

You will need to purchase a nice DSLR camera or a dedicated video camera like a G50 or something to actually get decent, stable, clear footage.

I used premiere pro by Adobe for my editing. Not necessary if all you want to do is put it on your computer, but nice to have if you want to make a YouTube video! Most video cameras or DSLR's have a screen and playback. The upside of a DSLR is most of them nowadays will bluetooth right to your phone and allow you to replay the video on your phone, zoom, crop, cut, etc.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
HuntNorthEast1.png

Back