• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need Some Advice

EJohnson

This will be my first year saddle hunting and it has been a little expensive buying everything.

My question is about lineman and tether ropes.
Should I spend the $140 on Oplux or use my old Muddy safety harness rope as a tether and make a lineman out of a Muddy lifeline I have laying around?
Not sure what the Muddy's are made out of, but know your ropes are the most important part of your system as far as safety goes.
I don't mind spending the money, but if I can get a year or two safely out of the Muddy's.
Thank you.

I cut up a lifeline for my linemans and tether and it works and packs well. I'm not sure how much rope you're looking to get? Oplux at Eastern Woods Outdoors is $1.89 a foot so you'd have to buy over 70' to hit $140. Once my Muddy line gets too roughed up ill be going that direction. I used a 12' and 10' section to make a 10' linemans and a 8' tether as the knots and loop take about 2'. I would also recommend using a schwabisch hitch with a tender instead of a prussic. Its basically half a prussic so it only grabs one direction and is easier to move. EWO also has the cord you need for the friction hitches unless you're going the mechanical route. Just note that both the muddy line and the Oplux are too small for a Ropeman.

Oplux- https://doublesteps.com/product/sterling-oplux/

Friction hitch cord- https://doublesteps.com/product/sterling-6mm-trc/

I cut up a lifeline for my linemans and tether and it works and packs well. I'm not sure how much rope you're looking to get? Oplux at Eastern Woods Outdoors is $1.89 a foot so you'd have to buy over 70' to hit $140. Once my Muddy line gets too roughed up ill be going that direction. I used a 12' and 10' section to make a 10' linemans and a 8' tether as the knots and loop take about 2'. I would also recommend using a schwabisch hitch with a tender instead of a prussic. Its basically half a prussic so it only grabs one direction and is easier to move. EWO also has the cord you need for the friction hitches unless you're going the mechanical route. Just note that both the muddy line and the Oplux are too small for a Ropeman.

Oplux- https://doublesteps.com/product/sterling-oplux/

Friction hitch cord- https://doublesteps.com/product/sterling-6mm-trc/
The rope that I have that came with the safety harness is pretty short (5' maybe) so it might work as my tether.
I think I'll take the lifeline and make a 7' tether and 8' linemans from it.
I'll upgrade next year

The rope that I have that came with the safety harness is pretty short (5' maybe) so it might work as my tether.
I think I'll take the lifeline and make a 7' tether and 8' linemans from it.
I'll upgrade next year
Just don't short yourself. I had 8' of rope left over that I made a 6' tether out of and it is basically useless in most of the hardwoods I climb. I usually look for trees 15"+ in diameter being a heavier guy so if you're in smaller trees you should be alright. Just remember you can always cut rope off but you can't always add it back. I can easily fit my 22' of rope in one dump pouch with my gear hanger in the bottom.

Muddy life line is 30ft with 2 prusik.....buy 1 more prusik and cut the rope 10ft and u good to go with linesman and tether that interchange and a backup to leave in the truck in case u accidentally forget ur tether up a tree. I keep my linesman girth to saddle so it never comes off....I also gave the tether an identifying peice of tape on the loop and prusik so I dont get confused when I'm using them simultaneously to get around branches.....fyi muddy lifeline $19.99 at midway right now

Finished up my lineman and tether last night made from the Muddy lifeline.
I tied in my figure 8 loop then measured them to 8.5' before making my end loop.
I plan on using a Kong on my lineman and tether with a prusik backup.

Back