• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need some help installing the double steps

DSJK

I just purchased the double steps from DanO, and I'm having a bit of trouble installing them onto my Lone Wolf sticks. So what I tried was unscrewing the bolt, replacing it with the shorter one, putting all the plastic circles in place with the new step and old standoffs, and tightening. Despite tightening the nut all the way, what I'm finding is that I'm still able to move the double step putting pressure on either side. The little plastic circles also got smushed and are a bit out of shape. What step am I missing here to make sure the step stays secure?

Thanks again for your know how. The DIY is tough on me.

You shouldn’t need the nylon washers. Those were on the original steps because they were moving parts. Take off all the nylon washers and just bolt the step onto the stick with the bolt and nut

You shouldn’t need the nylon washers. Those were on the original steps because they were moving parts. Take off all the nylon washers and just bolt the step onto the stick with the bolt and nut
You don't need the washer between the step and stick, but you do need it between the DoubleStep and bolt head - otherwise the step will loosen with rotation of the standoff.

You do still need the plastic washers on the stand-off side. The first double steps I bought were the flat ones, and they’re tight. A month or so ago I bought a few angled double steps, and these have a small rock to them. I assume this is a little bit of clearance between the tube and the slot in the step. Why there is this clearance I’m not sure, but if you’re experiencing a very small amount of movement in the steps, while annoying, it doesn’t effect their function. Once the slot is in tight contact with the stick tube, it’s not going anywhere.

Hey all. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I'll let these before and after photos do the talking. Yep, I installed the step on the wrong side so it couldn't slot into the stick. Put them in the other way and all's good now. Got done finished putting two together with the stealth strips. I'll tackle the next two tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone! Shout out to DanO for personally giving me pointers on both the forum and through email!

Attachments

• image000000_01.jpg
    image000000_01.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20191201_235716~2.jpg
    20191201_235716~2.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 37
You don't need the washer between the step and stick, but you do need it between the DoubleStep and bolt head - otherwise the step will loosen with rotation of the standoff.

DanO I just noticed you were on this thread. Do you have any comment on the small amount of clearance between the steps and the tube? The slight rocking doesn’t bother me much personally but Ive seen it mentioned several times in other threads... is there a functional reason you don’t machine that slot a touch smaller?

DanO I just noticed you were on this thread. Do you have any comment on the small amount of clearance between the steps and the tube? The slight rocking doesn’t bother me much personally but Ive seen it mentioned several times in other threads... is there a functional reason you don’t machine that slot a touch smaller?
Tubes seem to have a wide tolerance so we have to allow them to fit slightly over 1". I think we opened them up from exactly 1" to 1.02", but I'd have to check with my machinist to be sure. This allows for a coating on the tube to not interfere with the steps and seems to fit the widest range of tubes. Since these are DIY parts for the most part, we can't control which tubes they are mounted on. If you have a set of narrow tubes that are under 1", we can do a custom run pretty easily. We've had to do some custom ones with a wider channel even for some XOP sticks that were way over 1".

Back