• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need to mount a dove decoy near the saddle!

Gettin Closer

I read on a bowhunting forum that a guy was putting decoy Dove on the window opening of his stand and if he got caught moving or made noise, the deer would assume it was the Dove. That got me to thinking. We are trying to look like part of the tree and if we can blame the noise or slight movement on a "dove" it might help.

No, I am not suggesting we all wear a dove hat! Or that we line our saddles like Dove on a wire. But they are light and once up a tree would be easy to place on a branch near where you are hunting.

I have not tried this but thought it was a neat idea and it might help. I think I will give it a try once I get back out there!

Always thought Squirrel tail would help, never tried it.

A friend had a Uncle who made his own bows & arrows. He killed a lot of deer using fishing line from his tree tied to a white cloth shaped like a deers tail and later an actual tail. He claimed it not only distracted but brought the deer closer. He actually rigged a foot pedal which pulled the line to avoid movement. He placed the tail in a brushy spot so as to partially conceal it.

A friend had a Uncle who made his own bows & arrows. He killed a lot of deer using fishing line from his tree tied to a white cloth shaped like a deers tail and later an actual tail. He claimed it not only distracted but brought the deer closer. He actually rigged a foot pedal which pulled the line to avoid movement. He placed the tail in a brushy spot so as to partially conceal it.

I like it! I saw a hunting video one time a guy used a turkey decoy in a field where deer were coming out. The group of does were curious and came to check it out and he shot one. Worked like a charm!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it! I saw a hunting video one time a guy used a turkey decoy in a field where deer were coming out. The group of does were curious and came to check it out and he shot one. Worked like a charm!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet deer have come to feel safe when turkeys are around because the turkeys are so alert.

Back