• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Needing buckles for DIY saddle

Darmstrong1223

May 11, 2019
Dallas, Texas
Can anyone recommend good, metal buckles for my DIY build? I can get plastic buckles easily and I know the metal ones aren't necessarily weight rated but I'd feel safer with metal. I'd like something similar to the ISC buckles but can't find them. Any help is much appreciated!

heretic

SH Member
Aug 18, 2018
Missouri
I like to use strapworks for anything buckle related. They also sell cobra buckles if you're looking for something beefier than the classic side release buckle. I would probably send them an email (support@strapworks.com) if you want to make sure any of their hardware is climbing rated.

shwacker

Dec 10, 2018
How many buckles you putting on it? I used a 2 inch slide bar buckle from a old tree strap that came with a stand. Used G hooks and sewed loops to hook them to for leg straps and adjusters. Plenty of G hooks on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shwacker

Dec 10, 2018
One main 2" buckle and 2 1" buckles for the leg straps @shwacker.

This site was decent, I had a few of these from tree straps but for $2.50 they’re cheap if you build several saddles. G hooks are a lot lighter but I did buy a few Chinese style cobra buckles on eBay, didn’t use them. Seem strong, they were about $5 for two of them. I didn’t like them because of weight and bulk, I like the G hook for legs.
dbe136071304bb9c2ce2f652c88b9ad2.jpg

Homebrew454

Oct 17, 2017
Wisconsin
If you're looking for weight rated buckles, Amazon has good deal on a 10 pack of 1 inch raptor buckles. I'm putting them on for buckles (on leg and belt webbing) for my son's 2 saddles I built. For my saddles, I just am using a 1 inch raptor buckle for the belt and g hooks for leg straps. (Made a mantis clone and kestrel clone for both of us).

Milspecmonkey has a 2 inch plastic buckle that is weight rated to 500 lbf.

https://milspecmonkey.com/store/har...ra-buckle.html?search_query=Buckle&results=27

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

shwacker

Dec 10, 2018
https://www.amazon.com/MeloTough-Buckle-inch-Downs-straps/dp/B06XVF2D2Z

These are also 800 lb, cam buckles and less bulk and cheaper than the cobra style. Figure they use cam buckles on the legs of my muddy fall arrest harness, which all those are tested. I think it’s all overkill, you’d have a really hard time falling in a way where you could shock load or put any real weight on the leg buckles. Notice a lot of guys going around their legs with the leg straps rather than up the groin towards the waist belt, simply for comfort, because the leg straps are barely needed

DanO

Vendor Rep
Jun 14, 2018
Michigan
doublesteps.com
If you're looking for weight rated buckles, Amazon has good deal on a 10 pack of 1 inch raptor buckles. I'm putting them on for buckles (on leg and belt webbing) for my son's 2 saddles I built. For my saddles, I just am using a 1 inch raptor buckle for the belt and g hooks for leg straps. (Made a mantis clone and kestrel clone for both of us).

Milspecmonkey has a 2 inch plastic buckle that is weight rated to 500 lbf.

https://milspecmonkey.com/store/har...ra-buckle.html?search_query=Buckle&results=27

I like the ITW buckles at Mil-Spec Monkey. I used a dual adjust one for my DIY saddle belt so I could pull from both sides. Works nicely.

Homebrew454

Oct 17, 2017
Wisconsin
I like the ITW buckles at Mil-Spec Monkey. I used a dual adjust one for my DIY saddle belt so I could pull from both sides. Works nicely.
I just wish they had them in one inch. I used the two inch one but it is too bulky IMHO. The 10 of raptor buckles through Amazon was only $81 so was a really good deal but they are blue

Kmarks

Apr 15, 2018
Anyone have the amazon link for the 10 pack of Raptor buckles?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk